Believe It Or Not...Our Three Patios are Now Installed!!!

aloha2009September 28, 2012

After all the struggles, tears, frustration, and time, our patio was poured today. It looks wonderful!!!

We must have had around 20 working on it at one point and I had many, many, many compliments on how great it turned out. We had double expansion joints put in and it made a HUGE difference in the look.

I want to thank so many of you for your patience and help in helping me work through the design process. In reflection it was an extremely difficult piece of land to work within because of sloping, upper decking, shade, and walkways. I'm ecstatic about the layout and looking forward to getting more patio furniture, plantings etc to dress it up even more.

Now begins the fun stuff of selecting and planting all kinds of beautiful new plants. Frequenting the Botanical Gardens as often as I do, I can now move forward and get some of the plants I fall in love with.

Thanks for all your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
frankielynnsie(7B)

Pictures please!

Bookmark   September 28, 2012 at 11:22PM
yardvaark

ditto.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 8:40AM
aloha2009

It's not quite ready from prime viewing since the cement is still wet & forms are still in but here goes.

Our main patio that spans the length of the house. Great shade from our scorching sun in the summer. I love the cut lines and the way it incorporates the dreaded deck posts I was trying to work within. Though the elevation was an issue on one of side the patio we can camouflage it with either a raised bed or taller plantings.

The following area is a 16' octagon. We struggled so much with this shape. A round patio didn't fit with the straight patio next to it along with cutting off to much space. A square one didn't because it accentuated the bad angling of the retaining wall & our house being angled on the lot. The octagon shape followed the contours of the house and it fit nicer just a step off the main patio. We placed the one step by the end of the deck with a post there. It's pretty clear that a step is coming so I hope we don't have any accidents.

The following is our fire pit area with a small walkdown to the beach. We're opening up that end of the yard and gaining beach area. We didn't really need anymore patio, but it's such a great area come mid afternoon with a tree just west of it. Speaking of tree, you can't imagine all the cottonwood roots we pulled out of the ground so it wouldn't ruin our patio. No less then 50 with some roots with a 3"+ circumference.

There was a 45' walkway with 2 large curves over the area. It's pretty much a typical walkway so I didn't include pics

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 1:51PM
yardvaark

It all looks very nice and I'm sure it's a thrill for you to reach this milestone. The decoration using the score lines worked out well. It's a great way to add interest without a lot of expense. It's nice that you were able to tie the posts together like that. As well, the octagonal approach is frequently useful and pleasing in a patio layout. It seems that it came together quite nicely. Not it's time for planting fun! Thanks for adding the photos.

Bookmark   September 29, 2012 at 3:15PM
rosiew

In a word >>>>>>>>>>WOW!

Bookmark   September 30, 2012 at 8:10AM
More Discussions
Need landscaping ideas for new home please
Hello everyone. We moved into our new build in November....
chloenkitty
Privacy Trees For Zone 5 (US)
We live in zone 5 on approx a 1 acre lot. Our neighbors...
pinball01
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
Sponsored Products
WW 5050 LED Strip Light 60/m 10mm wide Foot
EnvironmentalLights.com
Giuko Ceiling/ Wall Light by Leucos Lighting
$470.61 | Lumens
Baroque Chip and Dip Server
$259.00 | FRONTGATE
Remer by Nameeks A11LUS Single Hole Bathroom Faucet - REMER A11LUS
$374.00 | Hayneedle
Espresso & Cloud Tivoli Three-Drawer Dresser
$239.99 | zulily