Honey Dew Melons

tey157(8b)May 1, 2012

How far will Honey Dew Melons sprawl? Is it possible to grow them on a trellis?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

Smaller ones should do well. Many of them do not slip which would be an added advantage on a trellis. Range is about the same as a cantaloupe, 4-7 feet depending on variety.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:20PM
tey157(8b)

Thanks farmerdill! By slip do you mean fall off the vine? The variety I have here is Earli-Dew, have you heard of this one?

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 7:24PM
farmerdill

Yes. Earli-Dew is an early ripening, mid size melon that slips from the vine when ripe. A dependable performer for me.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 8:02PM
lgteacher(SCal)

I had a volunteer a few years ago, so I don't know the variety, but the vine grew at least 9 feet long. The roots were in a raised bed, but the vines were supported outside the bed on some old border fencing I had so the melons wouldn't be on the ground. They go along the side and around the front of the raised bed in the photo.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:11PM
tey157(8b)

Okay Farmerdill, I looked at your album too. You have quite the variety. You must have a large plot to be able to grow so many varieties. One more question before I leave you alone. How much water do you recon a plant would need per week? I know it would depend upon the weather, etc, but I got a little drip irrigation system and am trying to decide on what type drippers to put on there. I was thinking the 1GPH ones.

Hello 1gteacher, that's what I'm looking for. Some type of growth like that. It's been such a long time since I've grown melons I almost forgot what to expect. Thanks for posting the photo.

Bookmark   May 1, 2012 at 9:20PM
farmerdill

I am traditional so in a normal year I rely on rainfall. During this extended drought over the past several years I have had to move the melon patch to an area that I can irrigate. One inch a week is usually sufficient. You want to the soil wet to a depth of 6-8 inches then let the top 3-4 inches dry before reapplying. Drives the root system deeper. Usually when the plants wilt badly in the heat of the day, it is time to apply water, just avoid shallow watering.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 7:53AM
tey157(8b)

Okay, thank you very much. I'll water them very sparingly then. I believe Texas is a little dryer than your neck of the woods, so I can always adjust accordingly.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:12AM
More Discussions
Garden row orientation: east-west, or north-south?
I'm wondering if there is any benefit to orientating...
nick_b79
Experiment Results: Growing vegetables in different soil-less mixes
If someone are interested to follow an experiment to...
Jacques (MP, South Africa) S
Planting where dog used to poop
We haven't had a god in two years. Is it okay to plant...
Theresa24
Frost damaged lettuce transplants
Hi all, Transplanted some lettuce outside last week...
Anthony
Too many seeds, not enough light
Right now, have basil, oregano, parsley, rosemary,...
ilovecucumbers
Sponsored Products
Alameda Canyon View Four-Light Outdoor Chandelier
$990.00 | Bellacor
SARMA BATH TOWEL - MELON(PEACH) (BATH 30X60)
$45.00 | Horchow
Melon Quilt Set
$49.99 | zulily
Bow Bronze Pendant with Honey Glass and Amber Jewels Tiffany Glass
$242.00 | Bellacor
Patio Living Concepts Patio Tables. San Juan 30 in. Bisque Table Lamp with Solei
Home Depot
Synergy Bowl Suspension by Ultralights
$560.50 | Lumens
Tri-Oval Polished Honey Onyx Vessel Sink
Signature Hardware
Cipressa Melon Outdoor Pillow
$99.00 | FRONTGATE
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™