What to do with second year leeks?

steve22802(7a VA)May 2, 2012

I planted leeks last spring and harvested them during the fall and winter but apparently I planted quite a bit more than what I actually needed so now I have quite a few remaining. Some are starting to bloom now. How long should I expect them to continue to be edible? Do they die after blooming?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denninmi(8a)

They will stay tender enough to eat, as a rule, until the flower stalk grows to about double the height of the foliage and the blossom bud gets about the size of a large marble/ping pong ball. You can eat the "scape" -- the bud and stalk, if you wish, much in the way garlic scapes are eaten.

After that, it will to too tough to really eat, although you could always throw it into soup, etc., and remove and discard after it releases its flavor into the broth much like one would with bay leaves.

The flower is very attractive and ornamental. After flowering, it makes a large round green seed head which self-sows easily, and 2 to 4 baby leeks will emerge in the fall from the base of the old flower stalk to repeat the whole cycle.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 6:43PM
elisa_z5

Great info denninmi -- thanks! I left a few of my leeks in this year to flower, because I heard they are very pretty and that the bees love them. So glad to know they will make more leeks for me for next year, too.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 8:26PM
jolj(7b/8a)

Really? Leeks(never grown them) are perennial or biannual.
Thanks for the tip.

Bookmark   May 2, 2012 at 9:18PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Thanks denninmi. I believe I'll leave some of them in place to form those baby leeks around the base. Sounds like I could have a perennial leek bed.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 9:57PM
More Discussions
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Radish in Miami
I grow mostly tomatoes, but once in a while I plant...
garf_gw
What's the best way to fertilize/enrich a large garden plot?
I have a community garden I'm working on with over...
srj19
Potatoes and snakes
Perhaps you all can debunk an absurd concern I've had...
formerly_creativeguy
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™