Ancient Sweets Pepper

nokiMay 10, 2011

I've seen some "Ancient Sweets" Pepper plants, supposed to be really long and thin and sweet. I look online, and it is hard to tell is this a brand name, or an actual cultivar? Anybody grown them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdill

They are an interesting phenomena. Apparently introduced and trademarked by Sunset Produce. They are also vended by Mastronardi Produce Ltd. Supposedly a European greenhouse pepper. There are several vendors selling seed, which is what makes it interesting. Selling a trademarked product is asking for a law suit. http://www.rainbowchiliseeds.com/catalog/c5_p1.html

Bookmark   May 10, 2011 at 7:35PM
PRO
little sur farm

i am growing about a dozen ancient sweet pepper plants for the first time this year. i got my seeds from an actual pepper from the store then dried and planted directly in the soil. they are delicious and i have many 3-4 inch fruits right now. i have only seen them under that name though.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 6:48AM
whgille(FL 9b)

I grew ancient sweet peppers that I got the seeds from store bought peppers at BJ's. They are long and sweet as described, but the ones that I grew did not come true from seeds like the store bought ones. They had a strange square shape.

All my other peppers were fine.

Silvia

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 8:49AM
PRO
little sur farm

thats funny i got mine from Sams Club.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 12:38PM
noki

If they are a hybrid the seeds will not be the same.

Bookmark   May 11, 2011 at 6:40PM
luke_oh(zone 5 NE Ohio)

noki, I havn't grown the Ancient Sweets variety, but I have grown the Marconi that seems to be very close in discription. Some peppers get up to 8-10 inches long and very sweet. Large enough to stuff and great on the grill. You'll need to stake the plants. luke

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 8:19AM
noki

Found some of the packaged Ancient Sweets at one grocery... and I must admit they are good, nice and ripe without being rotten. Don't think they are as thick walled as Giant Marconi. Of course, getting them to ripen like that in your garden is a different story.

Bookmark   May 12, 2011 at 10:43PM
klee51_mchsi_com

I purchase Ancient Sweet Pepper seeds from Rainbow Seed Company, I even asked them where the seeds came from because my gardening buddy told me that they probably were from hybrid peppers and would not grow...well even though I was assured from the company that these seeds were not from grocery store peppers and would grow, they grew the strangest looking plants with no peppers what so ever....10 of them...I am back to the hunt for the real deal...

Bookmark   July 16, 2011 at 5:35PM
Edymnion(7a)

Found the same package of these as everybody else from Sam's the other day. Delicious peppers, I'm eating them raw as snacks.

LOTS of seeds in them, so I'm drying them right now to try out this year. Hopefully they'll grow true.

Bookmark   November 27, 2011 at 2:52PM
spartan-apple

I too enjoy Ancient Sweets from Sam's club. I found
Planet Hybrid pepper at Jung Seed Company and grew them from seed this year. Excellent and good as Ancient Sweets.
Super heavy yield per plant. Jung's claimed they were
high yielding and set fruits without pollination(parthenocarpic). I had more peppers than I could eat and gave some away. I highly suggest growing Planet Hybrid
if you like Ancient Sweets. They have same form and flavor.

Bookmark   November 28, 2011 at 4:59PM
More Discussions
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
Cucumber Nutritional Deficiency
Hi guys, I'm a farmer based out of Shmedabad, Gujarat,...
dshaival
Starting a garden in Corpus Christi Texas
I am a beginning gardener and I have gotten some helpful...
mollysmom_2008
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™