Do you need two of cucumbers, squash, melons etc for pollination?

danidoo22May 6, 2012

My question is do you need two of a paticular plant for pollination? What i have always been told and seen in my own gardens is most things have both male and female blossoms are there exceptions to this rule when it comes to squash melons cucumbers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes there are exceptions so it all depends on the variety you are growing.

In addition, even with the varieties that are self-pollinating having more than one plant increases the odds/percentage of pollination that occurs.

Dave

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 6:41PM
zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin

You don't necessarily need two of any cucurbit to get pollination; as long as the pollen is transferred from the male flower to the female flower, they will self pollinate. Breeders & seed savers often "self" cucurbits (pollinate with a flower from the same plant) to get pure seed.

However, I agree with Dave. The female flower is only open for a day; if no males are open on the same plant, no pollination will take place. More plants means more flowers, which increases the odds. More plants also increases the bee activity, which again betters the chances of good pollination.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:30AM
Edymnion(7a)

Yup, more flowers open at any given time = better chances for pollination and fruit set.

If you have any doubt or want to take matters into your own hands, watch for a female flower to appear and then find a male flower thats open at the same time. Pick the male flower off, take the petals off, and brush the female flower down with the male flower's bits.

That'll almost always get the job done.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 11:21AM
jolj(7b/8a)

I agree.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:06PM
More Discussions
nibbler of artichokes and broccoli
Hi, All, I recently moved from NJ to CA and am faced...
emmers_m
Best kind of mulch for vegetable garden
What kind of mulch is recommended for a veggie garden?...
Peter
Anyone else not liking this "new and improved" houzz thingy?
It took a long time to get through all of the bells...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Who is gardening right now? Show me pictures
I spent my day in the garden. My turnips and kale made...
katy_bug
Plastic hardware cloth
How easily can critters chew through it?
hairmetal4ever
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™