Where to put it after potting into 5-1-1?

earthworm73(WA z8)December 28, 2012

I am getting a young palm (1 gallon size)for my birthday. It's coming in the mail so I am forced to have to pot it. Of course I am gonna use 5-1-1. I have two options for it after the potting. I now own a small greenhouse that I can keep at least in the 60's on sunless days or inside of the house in a low light area for the next week or two for it to adjust. Which one would be best?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mrlike2u(**)

Considering shipping can take at least a week I'd opt for inside for a while and then a short transition to the green house later.
Happy B-Day

Bookmark   December 29, 2012 at 2:08PM
Loveplants2 8b Virginia Beach, Virginia

Hi Earthworm.

I would agree with the above poster... Let it rest in your house for a week and then transfer to the greenhouse.. Remember, most of us like to repot in the spring, but i think that you have some that need potting up as soon as you receive them correct? Good Luck!!

Spring is the best time, but sometimes we have to alter the repotting time to give the plants the best that they need..

Good luck.. i'd love to see the greenhouse!!! Sounds great!!!

oh.. i looked to at your bday... Happy early Birthday too!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!! ;-)

Laura

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 12:43AM
earthworm73(WA z8)

Thank you for the birthday wish. I know winter is not the ideal time to receive and pot up palms and such but when this addiction calls your name after you see a deal its hard to say no. My greenhouse is nothing to talk about. It's one of those pop-up deals. I have a small yard (think subdivision) so it is ideal for my space. If the sun decides to make an appearance tomorrow I'll snap a pic or two.

I am looking at getting 3 palms over the course of the upcoming week. I'll take yalls advice and sit them inside of my house for a week or so before they meet all of their brothers and sisters in the greenhouse.

Bookmark   December 30, 2012 at 2:43AM
More Discussions
Type of kale... Also, shiny metallic flakes?
Hey, my friend gave me some kale seeds from her plants...
Josie Murray
aphid issue + not many predators
Hello, dear Container G people!!! So, let me know if...
Need2SeeGreen
Meyer Exploding in 5-1-1
My meyer lemon in 5-1-1 is just going nuts right now....
Jay Part Shade (Zone 10B, S21, Los Angeles)
Help! My slash pine seedlings in containers are turning yellowish
I have several hundred slash pine seedlings I put in...
Florida Native
meyer lemon tree leaves yellowing
I have a meyer lemon tree and I brought it in for the...
mlmib
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™