Would I be crazy to buy a farm?

greenwood85(6b)January 31, 2009

Most people say yes, but it seems like new small organic farms are popping up all over the place and thriving. So I'll ask the folks who know. Would I be crazy to quit a good job to become an organic farmer? Is it possible to be successful as a start-up in the current political/economical climate in our country?

I am seriously considering a change of career. I've heard rumors that Obama may offer grants or incentives for farmers willing to practice responsible farming techniques(use of cover crops, crop rotation, etc.). That sounds good.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenwood85(6b)

Yes, yes I would.

Thanks,
Me.

Bookmark   February 4, 2009 at 8:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

Greenwood,
No, you would not be crazy. However, depending on living on the income from your farm from the very first is perhaps a little optimistic. We bought a run-down small farm almost two years ago--brought it back to where it isn't an eyesore anymore, and are planning on starting to make a little money on it this year. No way will we be able to make a profit--we are just hoping to meet some expenses and have even more fun.
If you can find a property at a reasonable price, if it meets your needs, and IF you are willing to work like the very devil and wait a few years for a return on investment, then go for it. It is a very rewarding way of life--the rewards just aren't monetary, at least at first.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™