Catmint fight

sweetwilliam89(5b)September 16, 2013

My better and I are having a fight (well actually more of a mild discussion) about catmint getting scraggly. In the past we�ve had a relatively small patch of catmint. Over time my wife came not to appreciate it much as she thought it was too scraggly. She tends to prefer plants that are neat and tidy. She surprised me tonight by she thought we needed to get a big patch of catmint. That it would make such a nice background. She�s thinking that the problem we ran into and why she stopped liking the catmint was because we had it in too confined, too small an area. I�m thinking if we get a BIG patch of it then it will just become a BIG area she doesn�t like the looks of. So I�m looking for advice to settle the great catmint fight.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marti8a

I think you are probably right. You can trim them down to keep them from getting quite so scraggly.

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 4:26PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

My garden cats give mine a hair cut and then they lay on it so it has a scraggly smashed appearance. They have fresh breath and it makes them attack each other. I grow it for them so it rarely looks great.

I wonder how many cats in your area would be attracted to a big bed of cat mint??

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:08PM
jim_1 Zone 5B Illinois(5b)

Some catmint stays low growing and others get tall, be sure you know which one you are talking about.

Jim

Bookmark   September 17, 2013 at 10:15PM
agardenstateof_mind

Our cat is an indoor girl, but there are three that wander the neighborhood (tantalizing the poor dog when she sees them prowling our yard) and, knock-wood, they never seem to bother my catmints. When I prune it back after bloom, it stays tidy and blooms again; if I don't it gets scraggly and flops all over the place.

Bookmark   September 18, 2013 at 11:42AM
More Discussions
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
To Tree Or Not To Tree, That Is The Question
Oh, Spring. That special time when you re-evaluate...
Shan
Landscape design assistance
Hello, Our home is in Connecticut (Zone 6A) and we've...
stook1
Trying to design a border in front of elevated deck
I want to plant several shrubs in front of my elevated...
northraleighguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™