Can i feed budgie food to chickens???

kay-chanOctober 2, 2009

I was wondering if i could feed some budgie snacks to chicks, like those millet treats?? Plus when can i start changing my chicks diet? I have 3 chicks, one looks about a month old or older (sorry not sure), the 2nd one looks about 3 1/2 wks old and the 3rd one looks about 3 wks old. Though the youngest one cant really eat dry starter only when its wet and mushy. Plus can i use baby powder for calcium or those parrot baby powder calcuim you can get in the pet store? @_@ ^_^

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

If your chicks are on starter mix, the bag will tell you when to change to layer mix (assuming you have hens!). I think it is at about 17 weeks, if memory serves. You shouldn't need to supplement calcium--there is enough of everything they need in the starter mix.
If you want to give them treats make sure you give them small bits of fruit like grapes, or vegetables like squash. Don't give them anything too hard, or long which can lead to crop problems.
Just keep their area clean, make sure they have plenty of fresh water, and feed them an approved starter mix (I use the brand with the checkerboard). You are doing fine, and if you need a true expert's advice, ask Velvet Sparrow at her website. She is the authority on poultry!

Bookmark   October 5, 2009 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
Sponsored Products
Night Owl Cookie Jar
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Heavy-duty 18/10 Stainless Steel 8-piece Cookware Casserole Pot Set
Overstock.com
Midea White 3.3 cubic-foot Energy-saving Compact Refrigerator
Overstock.com
Counter Safe All Blueace Spray
$9.50 | FRONTGATE
Crosley Butcher Block Top Kitchen Island with 24 in. Upholstered Square Seat Sto
$799.00 | Hayneedle
Fire Magic Echelon Diamond E790s Cabinet Grill - E790S
Hayneedle
NM Chocolate-Coated Corn Twists & Potato Crisps
$55.00 | Horchow
Kenwood Chef Major Kitchen Machine
FRONTGATE
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™