fill near house

dancarlsonOctober 12, 2010

I have a 30' section of wall outside which has a gradual

slope towards the foundation. So I have removed the

plastic and rocks (which pushed water against the foundation).

Now I am about to add up about 2' of fill to correct

the slope away from the house.

What do you think of these options:

just dirt, plants later

dirt, then more plastic and rocks

class 5 fill, covered by 6" of topsoil

goal is water control and a easy to maintain

area. not big on rocks now..


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

1. stay away from plastic. It will concentrate water and you have no way of preventing the water from eventually getting under it.

2. adding a little bit of loose surface material over compacted material that is pitched toward he house is not likely to keep the water from moving across the top of the compacted surface.

3. the better thing to do, if you can do it, is to create a swale out away from the house that diverts the water so that it never approaches the house.

4. (this should really be #1) eliminate every source of water in the area by diverting it. Most notably would be downspouts if you have gutters.

    Bookmark   October 12, 2010 at 8:20PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
Front Yard Landscape Help! Zone 10a
We are looking to remodel the front of our home. We...
Design ideas for paving
I am trying to pave the area where the pine straw is....
Landscaping front yard, zone 5. HELP!!!! :)
We have recently done some work to our front yard (tearing...
Spacing for Armstrong Maple and Crimson Spire Oak
I plan to provide height to the borders of my backyard...
Bob Sislow
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™