My baby Zucchini plant is dying - buds dying BEFORE opening

tanny1499May 15, 2012

Hello,

I am new to gardening and I started an organic container garden on my patio a few months ago, South Florida. I planted the Zucchini seeds in March and the plant was doing fine until a few weeks ago. A few of the leaves started turning yellow and dying and now the tiny flower buds are also dying before opening. I transplanted to a larger pot a few days ago and checked for root rot and other pests but no obvious signs. It gets about 3-4 hours of sunlight per day and I've been watering every 3 days. Below is a link to pictures of my plant. Please help!! This is disheartening for a new gardener!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35574258@N05/

Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chas045(7b)

Well, I don't know anything about the tropics and should be called a newbie too. But first, I don't see anything really visually wrong with your squash. Just on the pictures, I would say you are worrying too much. HOWEVER, what is wrong is that your plant isn't growing. Since it was started in March I would guess that it should be 50 times bigger, asking to climb through the door and railing, and you should be beating it back with a machete. Too much or too little of something.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 7:46PM
andreajoy(z9 sacramentoCA)

3 to 4 hours isn't enough sunlight. Is there anyway that you can move it so that it gets at least 6 hours of sunlight? I am assuming it is warm enough for your squash, considering your location. Here in my area, squash like to take their time to get going, but then they take off like gangbusters! They usually drop their blossoms too, but this is usually because they haven't been pollinated or because we had one cold night.

I think you need light. You do have good drainage in that container, right? I do agree that this plant should be at least 50 times larger. Most veggies need at least 6 hours of good sunlight in order to thrive.

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 8:20PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If you transplanted it to a larger pot a few days ago then transplant shock is normal and will set the plant back for a couple of weeks. But as others have said it sure isn't getting enough sun. Needs 6-8 hours.

From the color of the leaves in the pics it looks like it is being over-watered and sure could use a good feeding. It is too young, too small for it to set fruit yet anyway so it would be normal for blooms to die and fall off.

But I don't see any signs of it "dying".

Dave

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:31PM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Umm, if those pictures show the new larger pot, the plant will continue to be in trouble. Much too small afor a plant that can easily become 4 feet across.

It's early enough in the season that you might consider seeding new plants, fertilizing regularly as soon as the 2nd set of leaves develop.

And it would likely be helpful to become acquainted with your county's Extension Service office which will be able to direct you to local gardening information.

Use this interactive map to locate your county's office:
http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

Here is a link that might be useful: locate your county's Extension Service office

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 1:19AM
jean001a(Portland OR 7b)

Neglected to mention this info is from University of Florida
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mv142

Here is a link that might be useful: growing zucchini in Florida

Bookmark   May 16, 2012 at 1:21AM
More Discussions
Frost damaged lettuce transplants
Hi all, Transplanted some lettuce outside last week...
Anthony
Dang it! I've done it again.. 3 years in a row I've gotten injured..
It's time to get in the garden, but I hurt my back...
wertach zone 7-B SC
Sweet potato slips have white crystals on lower leaves...is that bad?
I bought multiple sweet potatoes from the store to...
armbarangel
I really messed up, who can help? Tomato expert needed...
I planted beefsteak and July 4th tomatoes and didn't...
dwyerkg
Pole Beans in my area Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Hi everyone! Last season, (I think it was not til around...
nickjoseph
Sponsored Products
Waring Pro IC70 Professional Ice Crusher - 040072004582
$89.98 | Hayneedle
Sleep Sync 8-inch Twin-size Memory Foam Mattress
Overstock.com
Red Homeland Trike Planter
$24.99 | zulily
Blue & Orange Basketball Personalized Decal
$16.99 | zulily
Darlee Malibu Patio Loveseat
$974.99 | Hayneedle
31-Piece Carousel Knife & Kitchen Tool Set
$59.99 | zulily
Albertine Modern Media Cabinet - White
Zuri Furniture
The Young Scientist Club Set 6 Flight/ Heart and Lungs/ Digestive System Multico
$31.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™