How do I find a landscape designer or architect?

jxbrown(z10/24 SD, CA)October 4, 2012

I love to garden, but i'm not so great with design. We have a new house that needs a big backyard makeover (giant melaleucas snuggled up against the house, a raised and rotting deck that was concealing the concrete foundation of a hot tub, and overgrown and boring, boring, boring clipped hedges and bright green overwatered grass). Our realtor recommended a popular local LA who wants to design a big stone and stainless steel barbecue island decorated in the usual way with iceberg roses, lavendar, and agapanthus. Do I push this guy to give me what I want or do I find somebody who will give me a small patio and help me lay out my favorite natives and Mediterraneans? How do I find this person? The neighborhood that we live in has mostly tiny and typically landscaped yards so the neighbors wouldn't be much help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blossom_Designer(5)

You find someone who will give you what you want. You might check your state's organization for landscape design and installation professionals. In Colorado, for example, it's the ALCC, Associated Landscape Contractors of Colorado. The organization has a list of members that may be posted online. That would be a starting point for you. You could also check ASLA, the Assocation of Landscape Architects. A landscape architect will likely be more expensive than a landscape designer. But if your project is relatively simple with no major drainage issues or tall retaining walls, a landscape design and build company could probably handle your project.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 1:30PM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

I suggest you contact the San Diego Horticultural Society and attend a few of their meetings. Network a bit with the members and you'll probably get some decent recommendations.

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 3:21PM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

there is tons of talent in your area.
I also second catkims recommendation to check out the local hort society.

off hand, I've been enjoying the work that local San Diego designer Debra Carl has been posting to the Houzz.com website.

she's quite talented : http://www.deboracarl.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: deb carl's website

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:14PM
More Discussions
Need help with plant selection....
Any ideas of what plants I can plant between the dark...
Roy_R
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Show Me Your Small Private Backyard Landscaping
Looking for picture-based examples of up to a 1/4 acre...
Bob Sislow
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™