What kind of rooster is this?

wvgal_2006April 26, 2006

Hi there... I have a very mean rooster... and i was curious as to what breed he is??? Thank you so much for any information!

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roxann3576(Zone 8, N. Central, Texas)

Cannot answer what breed he is, I can say whenever I think of a rooster this is the image I see.

Gorgeous tail feathers. Beautiful picture.

Roxann

Bookmark   April 28, 2006 at 2:35PM
curdog007

A pretty one ;-)

Bookmark   May 5, 2006 at 10:24PM
lunchwithdeb

That is one handsome guy!

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 12:15AM
mamacotti(6)

I THINK it's a brown Leghorn...

Suzie

Bookmark   June 22, 2006 at 7:54PM
hengal(z5 / IN)

I would second that - he does look like a brown leghorn. I have two of them at home, although much bigger, and they are pretty docile....just not with each other!

Bookmark   July 19, 2006 at 1:18PM
gldno1

He is a pretty thing, but I am deciding I do not need a rooster to complicate my life. My "gentle" Buff Orpington, doesn't know he is supposed to be gentle....I stay out of the chicken yard unless DH is with me. I feel chicken and dumplings coming on.

Bookmark   November 10, 2006 at 4:02PM
hengal(z5 / IN)

Yes, he is a brown leghorn. I have two of them at home, beautiful boys and mine are very nice ones also. Never give me a minutes trouble. Now - I had to get rid of a Cochin rooster last year - that was the meanest, nastiest beastie I've seen! He is no longer with us and everyone is much happier. :)

Bookmark   March 21, 2007 at 8:42AM
judylou2u

I have been living in St. Croix USVI for the past two winters and there are roosters just like yours. Junior, who is one comes under my bedroom window and seranases me in the a.m. He is very nice and has a pleasant croon but Oh the crowing is really loud....

Bookmark   April 2, 2007 at 11:32AM
gmason

We had brown leghorns when I was growing up. Very good egg layers and the fishermen were always asking for the feathers. The roosters were like bulls, just because they seemed nice, don't turn your back on them. I got some more when my kids were small and got a very mean rooster. He didn't even make good dumplings.

Bookmark   February 3, 2008 at 8:29AM
kthrnslvn_gmail_com

I have one of these. He was a rescue rooster, and I have spent the summer trying to understand what it is that upsets him. It's a long list, but if he charges me from behind, he makes a lot of noise slamming his feet on the ground, and if he's nearby, he will always start out letting me know he's upset by making a noise like Darth Vader. I find that if I move slowly and respect his space he's a vast source of entertainment, and he takes his job and himself very seriously. My girls would be lost without him, though my daughter thinks he belongs on a Thanksgiving table. [That's not going to happen] I would like to know more about this breed, I had not heard of a brown leghorn.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
How cold is too cold for eggs to be viable?
My geese have been laying, I'm letting them hatch their...
saffron_parasol
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
First time hatching Duck eggs!!
Hello-- This is my first time hatching duck eggs. I...
christie71
Water Well Question
I have an old water well on my property. It was originally...
srks72
Sponsored Products
Solieque Bathroom 49 in. Granite Vanity Top in Wheat with White Basin
Home Depot
Gizaun Art Still Standing Indoor/Outdoor Full Color Cedar Wall Art - SS1624
$79.00 | Hayneedle
Florence Style Loft Left-Arm Leather Sectional Sofa in White
$1,499.00 | LexMod
The French Countryside King/ California King Headboard,Night Stand,and Media Che
Overstock.com
Portobello Road One-Light Wall Sconce in Platinized Silver Finish
Bellacor
Alvin MiniMaster Adjustable Drafting Table - Cherry - MM40-3-WBR
$138.00 | Hayneedle
Crystal Laurel Gold One-Light Console Lamp in Antiqued Warm Gold Leaf Finish wit
Bellacor
Beautyrest Recharge World Class Rekindle Plush Super Pillow Top California King-
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™