Morning Sun Vs. Evening

GardenBlondeNeedHelpMay 20, 2011

I'm a newbie gardener(I prefer the eating as to the growing), so I'm a little lost. With my veggie garden I wanted to do a type of tallest-to-shortest arrangement with my plants. But I don't know if I should arrange the plants so most get morning sun or evening sun. (The tallest would shade some of the shortest one way or the other)

Oh, and I got corn, tomatoes, cantaloupe, cucumber, squash, cilantro, basil, various pepper plants and strawberry; and live in Sacramento if that helps...

Any ideas? Suggestions? Greatly appreciate it :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dan_staley(5b/SS 2b AHS 6-7)

Your bad air quality is worse in the afternoon - which means a bit of extra haze blocking the blue end of the spectrum, so IMHO morning light is better. And shade during the heat of the day is good too.

Dan

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 7:35PM
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

Forget the cilantro in your area. Mine's already bolting in the Sonoma Co area!

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:43PM
lunita(9)

Sacramento market gardeners manage to have cilantro at our farmer's markets every single month of the year, Nancy. I think it is just a matter of lots and lots of succession planting and harvesting it while it is still young. FWIW I have some that is just right for picking in my Sacramento garden right now, and some more that was seeded about 10 days ago. I'm planning on seeding more this coming week.

(ironically, its my basil that is flowering, not my cilantro...)

So no, don't expect to plant cilantro now to make salsa with your tomatoes in August. It will go to seed and all you'll have left to harvest are coriander seeds. If you want to have cilantro all summer, I *think* the secret is a large packet of seeds that you plant, little by little (I haven't actually tested my theory for the whole summer or asked the Asian market gardners what their secret is. Maybe they also use shade cloth, but I don't think so.)

As to the original question, yes, morning sun is better than afternoon sun.

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 12:50AM

Well, Lunita, you are much more attentive to your garden/herbs than I! LOL
I've tried it in shade, sun, partial of both and only had success with the winter/early spring planting.
My new herb garden is mostly pots, so maybe I'll try a few in the pots. It can't hurt! Nancy

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 8:58PM
lunita(9)

I just really love cilantro, and it's something I buy every week at the farmer's market. Since the farmers I buy it from are from my own county I figure there's gotta be a way I can grow it all year long too!

Bookmark   May 21, 2011 at 11:15PM

Well, might as well give it a shot! I will too. Maybe I'll try planting a few each weekend. Nancy

Bookmark   May 22, 2011 at 8:05PM
GardenBlondeNeedHelp

Thank you all for your help :)

Morning sun it is

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
Row covers for warmth
Couple questions about using row covers mostly for...
joeschmoe80
Who do you gift your veges to?
When working, I always brought a bag of veges to work...
nancyjane_gardener
Looking for Actaea 'Black Negligee' seeds
Anybody has Avtaea 'Black Negliee' seeds for postage...
jennyleerskov
Which sweet potato varieties have best foliage and good yields?
I want to grow sweet potatoes in a visible location...
armbarangel
ridding tomato cages of septoria leaf spot
It is my understanding that septoria lasts on tomato...
elisa_z5
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™