Help! Large steep slope, can I plant ground covering from seeds?

lizatgarOctober 17, 2012

There is a large steep bank at the back of my new house (sloped to the house), it takes more than half of the backyard and is about 100X15. We are a busy family with two small children and do not have a lot of time for gardening... I want to do a ground cover but it seems too big to cover! It is a new construction, so I'm wondering if we can just spread seeds of some sort of ground covering just like how you start a lawn? That will be so much easier than planting them one by one! Any suggestions? I'm pulling my hair when I think about it... I've had quite some sleepless nights. Help please!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

I suggest you show a good picture of the area.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 10:30PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Many different species of plants can be planted via hydroseedixing a slope, but such mixes aren't typically using the same sorts of plants most often used as ground covers planted as rooted cuttings from flats/4" pots/one gallan cans. Hydroseeding still requires certain procedures and follow up care and watering/maintenance to be successful. If you were to plant fast growing wide spreading more shrubby plants to cover your slope, it may be competitive price-wise and give you more options of plant types. You may find it worthwhile to hire a landscape architect/landscape designer/landscape contractor to meet with you on-site, review your conditions/expectations/budget and advise you what makes the most sense for your yard. There are always trade-offs for any approach, and hydroseeding may/may not be a good option for you.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 11:28PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

Many different species of plants can be planted via hydroseedixing a slope, but such mixes aren't typically using the same sorts of plants most often used as ground covers planted as rooted cuttings from flats/4" pots/one gallan cans. Hydroseeding still requires certain procedures and follow up care and watering/maintenance to be successful. If you were to plant fast growing wide spreading more shrubby plants to cover your slope, it may be competitive price-wise and give you more options of plant types. You may find it worthwhile to hire a landscape architect/landscape designer/landscape contractor to meet with you on-site, review your conditions/expectations/budget and advise you what makes the most sense for your yard. There are always trade-offs for any approach, and hydroseeding may/may not be a good option for you.

Bookmark   October 17, 2012 at 11:34PM
lizatgar

To Yardvaark and bahia: thank you for your suggestions! I'll take a picture in the weekend.

Bookmark   October 18, 2012 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Issue with Retainer Wall, fixable or redo?
Hi, first time posting here. I'm looking for advice...
John Turner
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Need landscaping ideas
Hi, we just built this house on a junior acre in zone...
imcheetah
Sponsored Products
Khadhi vintage linen runner (black)
Origin Crafts
Christopher Knight Home Oversized Lime Green Leather Club Chair
Overstock.com
Vessel Sinks White Floreo Vessel Sink No Overflow | 12141
The Renovator's Supply, Inc.
Set of Two Baubles Table Lamps
Grandin Road
Designers Fountain 1257M Decorative Flushmount Medium Flushmount - 1257M-WH-AL
$23.50 | Hayneedle