Question: Radish seedlings have long stems?

kanuk(Zone 5 Qc Canada)May 10, 2009

This is my first time growing radishes(vegetables in general).

I'm not familiar with the plant growth habit of the radish therefore my question is ...

Is it normal that radish have long red stems or should I pile these stems with earth?

The varieties displaying this growth are French Breakfast & Cherry Belle. They are at true leaf stage and appear to be extremely healthy. The stems are red in colour right now (radish colour). The foliage is above the ground surface at about 1.5" at the ends of these red stems like little palm trees in effect. They are not flopping.

Are they displaying legginess or is this normal growth? Are they needing more light/fertilizer? Should I bury these stems by piling earth up around them?

Any advice would be appreciated & "thanks" in advance.

KanuK

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
petzold6596(8b southern NM)

The reddish stem is normal. Garden veggies need at least 6 hrs. of direct sun light a day. Fertilizing only if you see "yellowing/pale greening" of the leaves. No need to pile up earth.

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 8:38PM
heather38(6a E,Coast)

the stem in ground starts to thicken up, I thought the same as you a couple of weeks ago, but they are doing okay now, shame I hate them! I only grow them due to impatients, they come along and I can believe that the rest of the veg is on its way!

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 8:45PM
kanuk(Zone 5 Qc Canada)

Thanks perzold6596 & heather38!
I'm glad to know that things are progressing as they should...
I'll just sit back and relax!!
Cheers!

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 11:14PM
farmersteve(N. AL Zone 7)

I am growing those exact same varieties this year...

One other thing to mention (and I agree with both the other posters), if you over seeded and there are more than one stem per inch and half (or so) then you should thin them out a bit.

Steve

Bookmark   May 10, 2009 at 11:49PM
kanuk(Zone 5 Qc Canada)

Thanks for adding your advice Steve. I've tried to be very meticulous when seeding all my vegetables but spacing can sometimes get a bit out of my control because of small seeds, wind, sore back!!! I'll be sure to thin out as you mention.
I'm so anxious to actually pull a 'real radish' out of my garden I can't begin to tell you!! lol

Bookmark   May 11, 2009 at 8:40AM
More Discussions
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
what varieties of watermelons are you growing?
gridgardener
gardening math for beginners and those still learning
to help newbies and other people who have trouble knowing...
gridgardener
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™