Best way to remove landscaping pegs

actionclawOctober 14, 2011

Have a property with areas lined with landscaping timbers (railroad ties) held in place with iron pegs/posts driven through and into the ground. Now old and rotted timbers can easily be removed but the pegs are still holding fast.

I'd rather not use "dig along side and wiggle" technique; there are many of them and I have no idea how long they are. I'm about to try twisting loose with vise-grips then pulling out but looking for ideas for other better/more efficient "tried and true" removal methods.

Thanks for your suggestions

(If there's a more appropriate forum for this question, please suggest.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

How many inches do the pegs stick up?

If you have at least 2 or 3 inches, I'd scrape enough earth from immediately around the pegs so there's an indentation, then water the indentations very well. After that, whack the pins on 4 sides with a sledge hammer. If they don't wiggle, add more water.

I'm familiar with re-bar (and lead pipe) used to hold railroad ties and landscape timbers. Do your pins have the corrugated sides of re-bar? If not, how wide are they?

Are there any trees or shrubs that might have roots holding on to the pins?

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 1:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
inkognito

I think it goes something like this: take 5 foot long piece of 4" x 2" and cut a notch a foot from one end to accommodate the pegs. Slide this notch over the peg and rest the closest end of the 4" x 2" on the ground then lever up from the other end.

Bookmark   October 14, 2011 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Need privacy in backyard on three sides (zone 6)
I really like my neighbors but I live in the suburbs...
stlmom77
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
need help regrading
hi, currently the mulch surrounding my home foundation...
mishyq
Women Landscapers?
I am one. Any others out there? Do you hire women workers? If...
lifeflower123
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™