Chickens N oranges?

farmerreJanuary 15, 2010

Can a chicken eat oranges that have over rippened? Was going to cut them into pieces and give, but just was wondering this first.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
marlingardener

According to backyardchickens. com, feeding any citrus to chickens is a no-no. Didn't say why, but I have found the advice there to be reliable. I wouldn't, just in case. Much better to put the overripe oranges in the compost pile!

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 11:57AM
farmerre

Thanks soooo much!!! Guess my flowers will be recieving the over rippened oranges in the compost come summer!!! They will be more beautiful!!

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 5:41PM
cpp6318

My birds have eaten citrus with no problems for as long as I can remember. I don't feed it as their only feed but as part of their ration it works just fine.

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 6:02PM
islandmanmitch(z 8/9 FL)

I have citrus trees and chickens. I have seen the chickens pecking fallen citrus without apparent ill effects.

Bookmark   January 20, 2010 at 8:59PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

My chickens routinely eat oranges off my backyard tree, with no problems. I chop up the fallen fruit with a shovel. And I don't notice any citrus taste to their eggs, either, in case that is the issue. They leave the skin alone and eat the flesh of the orange.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 5:12AM
gardengalrn(5KS)

I rarely give my chickens citrus only because we tend to use up most all of them here in the house. I have tossed them out here and there with no ill effects. I've found my chickens rarely eat them anyway, or eat them as a last resort. Lori

Bookmark   January 21, 2010 at 9:56PM
gcmastiffs(z10 Florida)

My flock will not eat citrus. I have 50 varieties of citrus, and even though I've offered them bits of fruit I'm eating, they don't like it at all. Citrus and donuts are the only food items I've found that they really detest.

They love all my other fruits and will jump very high to steal Peaches, Grapes, Apples, Figs and Guavas.

I bring them home leftovers from work and dining out, and they never turn down savory foods, but dislike most sweet baked things. They wiped their beaks on the grass and looked disgusted after I offered them leftover birthday cake a coworker thought they might like. No go!

Lisa

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 7:50AM
sandykk(z6 MD)

The reason behind no citrus is that it will slow egg production down. At least that is what I've read.

Bookmark   March 5, 2010 at 1:26PM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

Lisa--

I can't believe your hens won't eat DONUTS!

I'm on my way to the grocery and will get an extra orange to experiment with today.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My place: Busy Solitude Farm

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 8:52AM
eyecndiggit

Our chickens won't touch oranges. Of course they won;t eat French bread or English muffins. Blueberry bagels are shunned but they like onion bagels. Bear claws are something to fight over but apple pie is gross. It gets their beaks dirty.
The peacocks prefer white bread and hamburger buns. The pheasants will eat anything.
They all eat apples but the must be cooked to soften them up or have been laying on the ground long enough to get squishy.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 3:17AM
More Discussions
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™