How do I anchor my wind spinner?

violetwestOctober 25, 2013

I bought a beautiful metal wind spinner. It's 84" high with a "dog-leg" or h-shaped stake base. I'm wondering what's the best way to anchor it?

Just sticking it in the ground is not going to work -- ground too soft and winds too fierce! Right now I have it stuck in a planter, which works okay, but I don't want it there permanently. I want to be able to move it if necessary.

I was thinking about putting it in a pot with gravel, rocks, or even bags of gravel placed around the base. Do you think that would work? or do you have other suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew(8 GA)

Violet,

I took a spinner to the welding shop and had them weld pieces of rebar to the bottom. I'll leave it to you to decide what length to make them. Works really well. And I'm lucky - I pay the welding shop with a batch of brownies. Shouldn't be pricey for them to do this for you.

Rosie

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 5:58PM
violetwest

thank you, but -- I don't quite understand what you did. You made a stand out of it (like a Christmas tree stand)? or you made the base longer, wider, or what?

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 6:56PM
rosiew(8 GA)

Wish I knew how to draw online. I'll assume yours has an inverted U shaped part that gets placed in the soil. (Not really a U, more an E without the middle line. If that's what you have, have lengths of rebar welded to the pieces that are meant to go into the ground, starting from the top. You could also have them add to the width of that part, which should provide more stability. If I'm not making myself clear, will try to explain further and maybe someone will draw it!

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 7:16PM
yardvaark

How I interpret it is that it is like tines of a fork (stabbed into the ground) and the tines have length extensions welded on to them so that it penetrates deeper into the ground. (?)

(Wish I could pay for welding with brownies. Only a woman can do this and the welders must probably be male. What the heck ... maybe ... next time ... I'll try it and see what happens.)

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 7:49PM
violetwest

lol! yardvaark -- it's an idea!

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 9:15PM
violetwest

I actually kind of like it stuck in the pot on its "temporary" position. Well placed to be viewed out the door

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:06PM
violetwest

crap--sorry for the skewed pic. Was all excited that I figured out how to upload pics from my phone here . . . been having this problem with my iphone pics recently.

Bookmark   October 29, 2013 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Bed lines don't matter if....
They're covered in snow! It will be interesting to...
Bama_Joe
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™