Nannyberry viburnum vs. Cornus mas

semirgOctober 25, 2013

We are looking to add some landscaping to our front yard for some privacy. We are putting in some mint julep behind either nannyberry viburnum or cornus mas. In my research I cannot really find a big difference besides color and flowering dates. We have narrowed it down to these two species because of the height that they offer. I am not too crazy about the berries as I figure they may make a mess. Other landscaping colors I have in the yard are pinks, yellows, and purples. Does anybody have either of these in their yard and if so what is your experience? Any input would be greatly appreciated as I do not have experience with either.

Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

The plants are really quite distinct in appearance - Cornus mas is really much more of a tree form while the viburnum is a suckering shrub. If left unpruned or untended, it can become quite messy looking. The dogwood blooms very early before the leaves appear and while it does produce edible fruit (much larger than any berry), it is rapidly consumed by birds. The viburnum blooms later in the season, typically will produce better fruit crops with a second viburnum present and has less attraction to wildlife - the berries are low in fat.

The viburnum can develop showy fall color, the dogwood much less so.

You can often get much more detailed and varied discussions if you post questions like these in the appropriate plant forums, like Shrubs or Trees. This is less of a design question and more of a plant attribute question :-)

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 2:27PM
semirg

Thank you for your time and information!! I really appreciate it. Also to clarify for this post, we will be placing mint julep junipers directly behind either type of shrub to form a "wall".

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 2:41PM
semirg

Thank you for your time and information!! I really appreciate it. Also to clarify for this post, we will be placing mint julep junipers directly behind either type of shrub to form a "wall".

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 2:42PM
More Discussions
Rock landscape dilema
Hello, So I'm taking on a big project within the next...
johncharles1923
tall hedge or tress for privacy screen.
I have posted this before in older forums. Not able...
ritholtz47
Need help with landscaping my front hillside
I need some help with landscaping my front hillside....
dabeevm25
quick screen
I'm zone 7 and the spot is full sun. I had a 12' photinia...
Mary Bright
scary house help
Trying to help someone with this- yipes. I'm thinking...
hightide102
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™