20 cocks. 4 hens. Bad luck in the sex lottery or...?

pippimac(New Zealand)January 6, 2010

My mother has quite a few chickens and she seems to hatch a very high proportion of roosters.

I'd read that keeping the same rooster for too long results in an increase in males, so we got some 'fresh blood'.

Well I just processed 20 young cockerels from the new rooster, so that theory's out the window!

I'd love some advice or just a reality check- I'd be kind of surprised (and overwhelmed with joy) if it isn't the luck thing-.

Temperature, feed, age, anything...

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
prmsdlndfrm

Several things are involved here,
1 accuracey of sexing
2 age of rooster
3 age of hens
4 temerature of incubation, just like alligators, the hatching books temp they advise is programmed to be in the middle, I cant rememer wether males are higher or lower temp
josh

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 6:42PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

The sex of a bird is determined by their mother, not father as with humans. Monotreme mammals also exhibit this form of sex determination.

Bookmark   January 7, 2010 at 2:03AM
dunwaukin(Ontario 5b)

my experience is that I get more roosters with spring hatches than i do with summer hatches. So i don't let them brood until at least may or june. Here in canada, that means i wait until outside temp are running in the 70's most of the time. One problem with this is that the hens may go off their tendency to brood if i keep taking eggs away. So this year i may let them brood early. I need to increase my numbers (Chanteclers, heritage breed).

I'm glad to see josh mention the temperature thing, as most people here seemed to think i was nuts to say that temperature influenced my hatch ratio.

Bookmark   January 16, 2010 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™