What is best corn fertilizer?

sheriberrie(8a)May 16, 2009

My poor corn. It is not as dark green as all the other corn I see. I have a feeling it needs more nitrogen. It is about 1 foot tall now and planted in sandy soil. What do you think I should do.

1. Go get a bag of composted cow manure and sprinkle around corn.

2. Put some of my alfalfa tea on them.

3. Go get some ucky chemical 10/10/10 and put on them

4. All of the above

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

You have a couple more options if you want nitrogen, without "yucky Chemicals" Composted chicken manure, Blood meal, fish meal. Personnaly I don't worry much about color as the long as the plants are making good progress. When I need it I use triple 10, or triple 13, sometimes nitrate of soda.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:20PM
dirtdauberz5mo

Blood meal is my choice. But take it easy...a little goes a long way, very light side dressing is all it takes, water in well.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:30PM
tomacco(7)

Corn love 10-10-10. Heavy feeder. Short of that, lots of poop.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:54PM
toogreen

This will not be a popular answer, but urine. Shall I say urea just to be polite?
I have not had success with corn for other reasons, but I would think that compost and extra nitrogen would be sufficient.
This year, I am interplanting with beans, hoping that will give them the nitrogen they need.

Good luck.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 3:34AM
anney(Georgia 8)

Yes, once the corn has been planted with an all-round fertilizer, its next fertilizations can be nitrogen. Corn is essentially a grass or grain and has the same nitrogen needs.

I use a light application of blood meal when the corn is about knee-high and again just as the ears are forming. Others may not fertilize as often and the corn does fine, too.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 5:23AM
knittlin(8b)

I agree with everyone else - nitrogen. Some things higher in nitrogen than cow manure that haven't been mentioned yet are cottonseed meal, turkey compost & fish emulsion (or was fish mentioned?). Turkey compost is what I'm using this year for extra N - easy to spread, makes a good mulch & lasts a long time.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
How to identify pressure treated lumber?
I live near an empty plot of land home site that has...
uscjusto
What's up with these basil plants?
I planted these into my garden bed a week ago. I’ve...
Kim Kimura
jute for vines?
I picked up some jute twine to trellis my beans, cucumbers...
slowjane CA/ Sunset 21
Planting two seeds. Should I keep both?
I've always heard you should plant 2-3 seeds per container...
asunk00
What is wrong with my cauliflower head?
One of my cauliflowers with the same soil, fertilizer,...
djkj
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™