What is best corn fertilizer?

sheriberrie(8a)May 16, 2009

My poor corn. It is not as dark green as all the other corn I see. I have a feeling it needs more nitrogen. It is about 1 foot tall now and planted in sandy soil. What do you think I should do.

1. Go get a bag of composted cow manure and sprinkle around corn.

2. Put some of my alfalfa tea on them.

3. Go get some ucky chemical 10/10/10 and put on them

4. All of the above

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerdilla

You have a couple more options if you want nitrogen, without "yucky Chemicals" Composted chicken manure, Blood meal, fish meal. Personnaly I don't worry much about color as the long as the plants are making good progress. When I need it I use triple 10, or triple 13, sometimes nitrate of soda.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:20PM
dirtdauberz5mo

Blood meal is my choice. But take it easy...a little goes a long way, very light side dressing is all it takes, water in well.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:30PM
tomacco(7)

Corn love 10-10-10. Heavy feeder. Short of that, lots of poop.

Bookmark   May 16, 2009 at 8:54PM
toogreen

This will not be a popular answer, but urine. Shall I say urea just to be polite?
I have not had success with corn for other reasons, but I would think that compost and extra nitrogen would be sufficient.
This year, I am interplanting with beans, hoping that will give them the nitrogen they need.

Good luck.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 3:34AM
anney(Georgia 8)

Yes, once the corn has been planted with an all-round fertilizer, its next fertilizations can be nitrogen. Corn is essentially a grass or grain and has the same nitrogen needs.

I use a light application of blood meal when the corn is about knee-high and again just as the ears are forming. Others may not fertilize as often and the corn does fine, too.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 5:23AM
knittlin(8b)

I agree with everyone else - nitrogen. Some things higher in nitrogen than cow manure that haven't been mentioned yet are cottonseed meal, turkey compost & fish emulsion (or was fish mentioned?). Turkey compost is what I'm using this year for extra N - easy to spread, makes a good mulch & lasts a long time.

Bookmark   May 17, 2009 at 11:11AM
More Discussions
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Tomato cages
I have a large number (40+) tomato cages made from...
drscottr
Do eggplants have high yield?
I'm going to grow one. Thinking of growing two. Do...
shijitake
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Organic Hydoponic Nutrients
We grow in organic vegetables in coco coir ans spray...
little sur farm
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™