Keeping rabbit's water from freezing

grittymitts(7/8)February 8, 2011

Anyone have ideas on keeping rabbits water bottles from freezing? Rare to have temps low enough to cause it, but for a few days that a time this winter, they have done so very quick.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
farmerboy98

Try wrapping them with foam, or rap them with towels and tape the towel onto it

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 1:11AM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

All I did when it got below freezing was to have 3 sets of water bottles for each cage.

When I went out, I'd take fresh bottles with tepid water, and switch out the bottles. Take the frozen ones inside to thaw.

How cold it got determined how many times I'd have to switch the bottles. If it wasn't much below freezing, just switch once in the morning because the bottles wouldn't freeze during the day (my rabbits had shelter)

If it got down to 50 below, every couple of hours. It wouldn't take the bottles long to freeze, but if the rabbits got all they wanted to drink at least every other hour, they were getting enough.

You an also put heat lamps near the hutch and if they are close to the water bottles, the water won't freeze.

Bookmark   February 10, 2011 at 2:41PM
beegood_gw

Mine would get fresh water several times a day plus I kept a container with snow in it in their cages. That way they always had something. And they do eat a lot of snow. Even if there was water available.

Bookmark   February 11, 2011 at 8:15AM
More Discussions
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™