Rat proof chicken feeder

johnmac09February 26, 2010

Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the long & severe Winter here in the England is making things worse) and commercially available feeder options aren't feasible... too expensive and too big a capacity for my four girls.

So I've made my own rat proof chicken feeder with readily available materials. To get the plan & instructions go to my blog site below.

Hope you find it useful. John

Here is a link that might be useful: An English Allotment Garden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tulsacityfarmer(6)

I've had rat problems before, okay several times.But I have found rats will live close to their food supply in winter. I have had them move into the coop even.
Do you see any holes in the ground around or in your coop?If you do start digging and be ready to chop with your shovel!I one time found a nest about one foot deep with 17 rats that I had been feeding.
I bought a Plastic life like owl and mounted it on a near by post and have not seen any rats this year. I hope this helps.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 12:46PM
christine04112012

There are rat proof chicken feeders that will basically dry up the rat's food supply since they can not get in the feeder. Here is a website "thecarpentershop.net " that has a quality, low cost rat proof chicken feeder that I know of.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:28PM
christine04112012
    Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:39PM
Sumatra(6)

Sorry to hear that you have rat problems. But if you've got rats, you should be worrying more about stolen eggs, eaten chicks,and chickens being killed while they're roosting, than how much food the chickens have.

Bookmark   September 7, 2013 at 3:28PM
Alice49

I recycled my paint bucket into a rat free chicken feeder using Peckomatic Demand Feeder Kit.

Bookmark   January 21, 2015 at 5:31AM
More Discussions
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™