help!!!! somthing is coming out of my chicken!!!!!

dan_growFebruary 8, 2010

my Austsralorp (thats what i think she is) has this white tub that hooks at the end hanging out of her booty last night and i don't know what to do or even what the @#$% it is!!! i separated her from the rest of the flock to keep the others from pecking it. she wasn't moving much, she was eating and drinking, and i found her standing over the eggs (before and after that thing). This morning she was siting next to a small pool of pink liquid she seems much better but i'm still keeping her separated from the flock. I'M FREAKING OUT!! any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

Sounds like a prolapse. If you do a search on "chicken prolapse" you will find lots of information. Good luck with her.

--Johanna

Bookmark   February 8, 2010 at 8:53AM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

It does sound like it could be prolapse--that's where a bit of her oviduct gets pushed out from her straining too hard to lay an egg. It's not uncommon, but it is gross and a bit shocking to find her insides suddenly on the outside. You did the right thing separating her since the other chickens might have pecked at it and made it worse.

You can help her out by getting a tube of Preparation H and applying a bit to your finger, and using the lubed finger to GENTLY push the tissue back up inside her. You may have to do it a couple of times the first time, and may have to repeat it a couple of times throughout the day. The Prep H will soothe the tissue and shrink the swelling. She should be OK, but wait until it's returned to normal before returning her to the flock. Watch her to see how she lays her next egg and check to make sure it hasn't reoccurred. She should be OK, but keep an eye on her in the future.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 3:01AM
dan_grow

thanks every one for the advice but she died we found shards of broken egg inside her body then she just died but now ill keep a closer eye on the rest of my chickens for this...

Bookmark   February 9, 2010 at 8:15AM
calliope(6)

I've never had one prolapse, thank Goodness in all the years I've had chickens. I have had one or two whom I suspect have gone egg-bound. I found one dead with yolk oozing from her vent. Sorry about your hen.

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 12:22AM
gardengalrn(5KS)

Oh, I'm sorry about your hen, too. Lori

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 7:51PM
dan_grow

thanks for the support. i'm getting some new chickens this weekend because i will not give-up!!!!

Bookmark   February 13, 2010 at 8:21AM
More Discussions
How do you deal with neighbors' dogs?
One of the neighbors' dogs killed my only 2 chickens...
cranberry15
Chickens and Guineas Together
I would like to get 2 chickens and 2 guineas to wonder...
srks72
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
How cold is too cold for eggs to be viable?
My geese have been laying, I'm letting them hatch their...
saffron_parasol
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Sponsored Products
Regatta Blue Lido Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Mami XL Water Tumbler Set of 2 by Alessi
$52.00 | Lumens
Contemporary Black Organza Shade Nickel Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Mirianna Bedding Set
Home Decorators Collection
Built-In Single Lever Shower Mixer
TheBathOutlet