mother goat laying on kids!

petra_goatsFebruary 10, 2010

Our boer goat had three kids on Saturday. This is her second litter, but it's the first one with us. I saw her lay on one of the kids hours after they were born, and I just pulled it out from under her. The next day, one of the kids was dead, all flattened out, so I think she laid on it and killed it. It had been the most lively and strong of the three. The other two have survived the last couple of days, but I'm worried that I should take them away from her or risk losing them too! What should I do???

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
oberhasli1

Have the kids been nursing from her regularly? When they were born did she bond with them (lick them clean and pay attention to them?). Boer's are usually good moms, but I would pay close attention to make sure they are getting fed enough. You may have to take them away and bottle feed them if she isn't feeding them.

Bonnie

Bookmark   February 10, 2010 at 11:47AM
brendasue(6)

This could be why she was sold.

Has she gotten any better? If she were mine, being a 2nd freshener she should know not to step on her kids. She should know to move gingerly, and when one squacks to get off of it!

Since she doesn't I'd pull the kids & send mom to slaughter. This is just me.

Brendasue

Bookmark   February 11, 2010 at 11:51AM
doninalaska

Perhaps the third kid was weaker and not nursing. Since goats only have 2 teats, sometimes one gets left out. Are they in a confined space or in the open? If they are confined, you could build a creep like they do for sheep. That way, the kids (or lambs) have a protected area where they can avoid getting crushed or smothered by an inconsiderate or weakened dam.

Don

Bookmark   February 21, 2010 at 3:10PM
More Discussions
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Cheaper way to kill fleas on your dogs
The below is what I use on my dogs. We have 20 dogs,...
msmitoagain
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™