Cauliflower won't flower

eyes5May 2, 2009

I grew purple cape overwintering cauliflower last August or so, and they're supposed to form curds by March. Only one of them has so far, but the others, though big and happy, don't show any hint of flowering. What's going on? Should I wait longer or should I pull these plants that I've waited so long to harvest?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
midnightgardener(9)

You probably watered them wrong. Look closely and see if you have golf ball size heads. if so, you did not water enough.

Here is a link that might be useful: Start a growers diary here

Bookmark   May 2, 2009 at 11:05PM
skagit_goat_man_(WA)

If they're growing I'd just wait at least another month. Where did you purchase your seed? Tom

Bookmark   May 3, 2009 at 8:43AM
bella_trix(z6b SE PA)

I grew purple cape two years ago and could not get them to form heads. I planted in spring and had nothing by winter (I'd missed the overwintering instructions). I left them in the garden and they barely made it through the winter. Only one was healthy enough to form a very small head.

I decided my winters were too harsh for them. Are you really in Canada? I'm very surprised they even made it through the winter, unless you are near Vancouver! How did you do it? If they are still big and healthy, I'd wait and see. My thought was that they needed a climate more similar to South Africa, like San Francisco, to overwinter well, but perhaps I am wrong.

Bellatrix.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 1:35PM
farmerdilla

I have never tried Purple Cape either, but it is listed at 200 days, which is almost 7 months to maturity. Cold winters would make it even slower. So if your plants are healthy, I would suggest that you wait awhile.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 3:28PM
eyes5

I bought the seeds from West Coast seeds, which is the most reputable seed provider in my area, as far as I know. And they're locally based, so I'm surprised to hear that the plants need even warmer conditions.

I indeed live in Vancouver! Though, this winter has been unusually harsh and long. I used a floating row cover to protect what I can and brushed off layers of snow every time it snowed. And still I lost several plants.

Bookmark   May 4, 2009 at 6:02PM
More Discussions
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
Planting Oca in Tubs?
Has anyone done this with any success? How big a tub...
aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
Fertilising
Hello All, I am planning my winter crop (live in New...
bopwinter
Asparagus woes
I piled leaves on my asparagus bed when I cut it back...
nancyjane_gardener
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™