New farm plans for this year
What new farm plans and changes in your garden are you going to make this year?
I have so many new things planned to grow, I don't know where I will put it all!
1) I am going to grow potatoes in trenches on cardboard, covered with straw. They should be easy to pick up without digging and fairly clean. That's the plan, anyway. Read about it here (also Google "growing potatoes in straw")
2) I am going to use a cold frame for the veggies I start indoors early.
3) I am going to plant some things in rows far enough apart to drive the tiller between. Otherwise I will use cardboard between plants. I WILL conquer this run-away weedy garden problem.
4) I am going to plant the luffahs and some small winter squashs by the deck, on the south side, and grow them on the railing. This is a snowy pic but I think it'll look great covered with thick vines and hanging veggies in the summer. (We never use this deck. Too hot!)
5) I am going to grow some of my own chicken feed. I intend to use sunflowers, millet, flax, poppies, curly dock, sorghum, amaranth and QAL. In this mix I will put ground egg shells too, for calcium and maybe a little protein. I am drying egg shells and saving them for this now. I'm not growing the QAL in the garden, ditto for the curly dock. I already have a field full. Can chickens eat goldenrod seeds?
6) I going to grow goji berries, also called wolf berries or marraige vine. I got a few seed from trading on the internet. I am going to plant them early indoors. I hope they do well. I don't yet know where I'm going to put them.
7) This year I will thin the carrots!!