need help with raised beds!

kawaiineko_gardener(5a)May 14, 2014

NOTE: I am going to cover the surface of the raised beds with black mulch, as the growing season here is very short (120 days) and the weather fluctuates greatly with the temps. I have never used black mulch before, so how will I water the plants with the surface of the soil being covered with black mulch?

I am very new to planting in raised beds, and this is in regards to planting melons in raised beds. I tried growing melons in raised beds last year, and it was my first year growing melons, and last year was my first year doing raised beds as well.

Unfortunately I overcrowded the beds and they basically took over the entire space of the beds.

I have both bush and vine types, and will be growing them in 4' x 8' raised beds. With trellising, how many bush type melons can I grow per 4'x 8' raised beds? With vining type melons, again using trellising, how many melons can I grow per raised bed?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyjane_gardener(Zone 8ish North of San Francisco in the "real" wine country)

What kind of black mulch? If it's the wood chips, you can still hand water. Maybe lay a soaker hose or drip irrigation before laying down your mulch.
I don't use drip cause I have tons of minerals in my water and they tend to clog. I prefer to hand water (therapy) or use the soaker hose and the oven timer or my watch (or cell phone) timer. Nancy

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 9:27PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

If you mean landscape fabric then water passes through it. it has holes in it. Plus you cut holes in it to plant the plants so you water easily around the plants.

Dave

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 9:38PM
More Discussions
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
over wintering cabbage family for second year seed
I'm interested in which cabbage family vegetables I...
matthias_lang
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
FRUSTRATED in the California High Desert
I have been trying to grow a garden in the desert for...
zephyr66
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™