Chickens...mouse...giant eggs

msmitoagainFebruary 9, 2009

OMG - I had this horrible thought just now and was wondering about this.

Our hens gobbled up a mouse recently. It's on my blog today.

http://msredneck.blogspot.com/2009/02/mouse-watusi.html

Yesterday, we got 2 of the biggest eggs I ever seen. Are these giant eggs a result of mouse protein???

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/msmitoagain/chickens/DSC02603.jpg

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j205/msmitoagain/chickens/DSC02611.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
msmitoagain

trying to put the pictures in again

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 10:40AM
seramas

Yes, but not the mouse they ate yesterday. They probably eat mice all the time. The increased protein and plenty of clean water is what makes big eggs.

I have old pots of plants that are in the greenhouse with the chickens. Every 2-3 days they get heavily watered and the mice come flying out only to be greeted by 12 Phoenix, 4 pheasants and 2 Seramas. They rarely miss any.

The Pheasants will go after the wood rats that the neighbor has living in his 24'x 24' wood shed. Every once in a while one will wander up the drain tube into the greenhouse and we find a partly eaten carcass laying around occasionally.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 12:14PM
msmitoagain

Thanks Seramas -

I told my co-worker today, if it was the mouse (and the worms my husband has been pitching them) at least they were natural ingredients.

Here is a link that might be useful: MY BLOG

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 12:30PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

For extra fun with your co-workers, calmly and offhandedly tell them that one of the eggs must have a mouse inside, that's why it's so big.

Then watch their reactions, especially if you've been sharing eggs with them, as they wonder which egg in their fridge has a mouse inside.

*L*

Hey, all is fair food-wise in chickenland. Watch the hens for any signs of illness, since mice can carry all kinds of nastiness. But otherwise, it's free protein!

Also, if your hens have been on a winter break and are just starting to really lay again, the first few eggs can be smallish, then get bigger as they really get into gear. Mine are doing it, too.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 1:12PM
msjay2u(7)

velvet that is HILARIOUS.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 6:36PM
oldpea(8)

Is it just me or is the thought of eating eggs from chickens that eat mice too gross for words, or what?

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 7:35PM
msjay2u(7)

LOL don't tell me you think you gonna open an egg and find a mouse.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 11:18PM
oldpea(8)

May as well be. Yucky!

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 10:00PM
runningtrails

LOL! Velvet, that's funny! My coworkers are squemish about the eggs now, I could never tell them that and sell them any more eggs! lol!

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 8:27AM
gardengalrn(5KS)

Several of my coworkers are also very squeamish about fresh eggs if they put too much thought into it. Working nights, we tend to have discussions that possibly wouldn't occur during the day, LOL. Comments like: "The rooster does WHAT to the hens??!" If I told them the chickens ate an occasional mouse I'm afraid they would swoon. Unfortunately I had told one gal that hens, like humans, are born with a certain number of eggs for their lifetime. For some reason this got her all grossed out! Lori

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 8:40AM
msjay2u(7)

Hell I was squeemish about eating my chicken eggs at first too. When we first started getting eggs I told my fiance to eat the eggs. I wanted to see if he would get sick. Nothing happened. Then we started making scrambled eggs with half fresh half store eggs. FINALLY I got to the point where I wolf them down. LOL

oldpea I was being facetious but really I think that if I saw my chicken eating a mouse it might gross me out too although come to think of it that was on my list of "pros" to raising chickens. Catching and eating chickens and snakes.

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 7:44PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

Catching and eating chickens and snakes. Freudian slip?

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 9:03PM
msjay2u(7)

mice and snakes

Bookmark   February 11, 2009 at 9:48PM
runningtrails

They eat snakes too, eh? I hope they don't eat a lot of my garder snakes. I like them. They eat mice and bugs in the garden, too and I have a lot of big ones that like the straw mulch in the veggie garden.

Bookmark   February 13, 2009 at 9:37AM
More Discussions
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™