Incorporating Vegetables into your Landscape

aloha2009October 19, 2012

Has anyone seen a successful way to incorporate various vegetables within a landscape where a person would have to almost take a double take to realize that vegetables are part of the landscape> I'm not referring to an area that is exclusively vegetables but a way to see flowering bushes, perennials and vegetables next to each other. I'd like vegetables like tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, spinach. Are there certain flowers that help vegetables to grow their finest? or that look good with vegetables?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Blossom_Designer(5)

This year, I sprinkled my squash, pepper, eggplant and tomato plants among my shrubs and planted marigolds nearby to keep pests away. The tomatoes spread out all over the place like they usually do but the other plants added a richness to my beds.
Rosalind Creasy has written about edible landscaping. You may find her information helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rosalind Creasy - Edible Landscaping

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 9:19PM
lazy_gardens

Just look at the texture of the foliage, the size of the plant, and the color of flowers and fruits.

Okra and eggplant make a nice 1-season flowering "bush". Tomatos and peppers also.

Most herbs make good low "green thing" border, as do spinach and lettuce. Chard makes a good back row plant with huge leaves.

The vining things can be your ground cover, or use them on a pergola for shade.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 2:00PM
aloha2009

BlossomDesigner, thanks for the link of eye candy to Rosalind's gardens. I have never heard of her before, but I'll be sure to check out her book from the library. The link you provided had a lot, I'm sure the book will have that much more.

LazyGardens, the only thing I have ever planted is tomato plants (and few of them), so the info you provided as far as things that look good is all new to me. We're not doing any grass though in the backyard so I thought it would be beneficial to somehow incorporate vegetables in the garden...especially since I eat a lot of vegetables.

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 2:45PM
feijoas(New Zealand)

My edible garden is mainly out the back, but I have a few edible plants out the front. It's a pretty challenging area, being mostly shady, dry, sandy and windy.
I have very limited space in my actual vege garden, and I've put plants at the front that need space, like globe artichokes.
They get huge and are very good-looking, especially if I let some of the 'chokes' flower.
Giant red mustard is a beautiful plant, as is red chard.
Chillies and peppers can be very pretty.
I also grow feijoa (pineapple guava) rosemary, purple sage, alpine strawberries, currants, gooseberries, oregano and chervil
I find tomato plants need too much support to look much good.
Red cabbage looks great in an ornamental garden, and pumpkins, aka winter squash can look good too.

Bookmark   October 22, 2012 at 4:38AM
More Discussions
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
light green leaf tree
Looking for a bright green leaf small/medium sized...
guatnut
Overwhelmed by new homes
I bought a new home just over a year ago in Northwest...
mistymoon
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™