When your garage does face front

ally_ldOctober 5, 2007

Since my last post about walkway design and possible driveway change, I have read many great threads. I too have the "Welcome to my garage door" syndrome, and the builder's special, "the foreboding front step" syndrome.

At this point, since we have to rebuild our front porch as it is cracked and sinking, I am changing hardscape to probably bluestone (can't match the brick), re-designing the walkway using curves etc., and maybe, if I can convince my husband, re-designing the driveway that has always bothered me. The porch and walk is a definite. The drive if cost isn't to crazy. I hate our two cars consuming the front of our house. The boat is new this year and that's adds to the cluttered look. That, I think we'll store at a boat yard off-season and on the right side of garage during the the season.

Our garage does not have a door leading into the house so people do use our front door but to get there, they have to squeeze by our cars. All of this bothers me but again my family is fine with the present driveway situation.

Please look at the photo's and if you could share any suggestions, I would really appreciate your input. I took pic's with car in drive and then put my car on the lawn where it would go if driveway is changed.

Also, the step at the door into the house, do you think I could raise the front porch foundation thus eliminating that stupid step? If so, we might need to add another step onto the porch unless re-grading would work.

Thanks in advance,

Ally

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
maro(z8 WA)

Ally - you have to fix Photobucket so we can see the pics.

Maro

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 12:56AM
ally_ld

Maro - I am confused, my pics showed up on my preview, when I did a test and I can see them now. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ally

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 9:33AM
maro(z8 WA)

Sorry -- I wrote without thinking. When I tried to enlarge the small pictures I couldn't enter PhotoB. I can see all the pics. Duh!

Maro

Bookmark   October 6, 2007 at 11:32AM
isabella__MA(z5_MA)

Ally, your proposed new driveway layout, with the turnout, and curves looks very functional and a good use of space. Your walk to the front door should meet near this layout to direct guest to your front door.

Your garage like millions of others faces the front, but don't worry about it. There are more extreme cases of "Welcome to my garage", like my house and other recent posts.

From the photos the garage is very noticeable, only because of it's large white expanse in contrast to the rest of the house or the shadows of the porch. Your front door is hidden in the shadows of the porch overhang, which because of the post spacing doesn't call out the door either.

If the driveway is a hard sell with DH, then consider changing the garage door color and style to blend it in with the arches and shadows of the front porch, and change the front door color to bring it out of the shadows.

Also for the front step up into the house, don't forget about how much having some freeboard between the outside and inside protects against flooding.

Bookmark   October 8, 2007 at 10:00PM
Frankie_in_zone_7

I'm with isabella--the garage door should not be white. Even the gray siding above attracts attention. Might use a color on the garage door like either the window trim or the darkest brick. A darker gray might also work, unless it introduces too many different colors. If you could play with Photoshop and experiment with colors, you might see what works best.

Bookmark   October 9, 2007 at 3:48PM
More Discussions
On Site Calculations - Area
If you do construction as well as design, sooner or...
pls8xx
Plantings for Driveway/Walkway Design
We would like to pave the driveway. (I hope I am in...
doggonedeb
Raised Garden Bed Construction Help
Hello Everyone! What wonderful help! I've built about...
Garden Chickee
Front yard design help
Looking to finally put some plants in the front yard....
Matt Johnston
Sponsored Products
Westek 18.7 in. Flourescent White 15-Watt Direct Wire with Pull Chain FA354HW
$9.99 | Home Depot
Garage Storage Systems & Accessories: Sandusky Garage Cabinets Heavy Duty
Home Depot
Garage Storage Systems & Accessories: Gladiator Garage Racks GearTrack and
$10.99 | Home Depot
Westinghouse Wall Mounted 1-Light Textured Rust Patina on Solid Brass Steel
$58.98 | Home Depot
Storage Bins Cubes & Totes: Edsal Garage Racks 1.45-Qt. Stackable Plastic
$37.52 | Home Depot