Victory!!!

just.keep.digging(6a)May 6, 2012

My dh doesn't get how excited I am. Over the past week I've picked over 100+ slugs off my veggies and am finally seeing a reduction in the slug population! And also when we first prepared the beds I saw a total of 20 worms in the entire 24'x11' area. And last night alone I saw 8 pairs mating and like 15 other ones crawling around!!!! Our soil was, well still is pretty crappy, so it's wonderful to see these lil guys coming in and making my plot into their home. I just needed to share that with some people who understand why I'm so excited about this!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
elisa_z5

Congratulations!
It is a wonderful feeling to know when you've made your soil home to worms.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:27PM
ShellLea(5)

Congrats! I just got excited about worms myself yesterday. Only gardeners get I guess :)

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:46AM
terrybull

congrats on your worm sex but i dont think the other worms should have been standing around watching.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 9:29AM
bcskye

Congrats! Glad you're seeing progress after all your hard work. Some DHs just don't get it and mine is one of them, too.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 12:48PM
glib(5.5)

No soil ever resisted two bags of leaves per square yard. The problem is that all that organic matter will always bring in the slugs except in semiarid climates. Use Sluggo. I used to go out at night in May and pick 100 slugs a night, ten days in a row, but now I know better.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:03PM
rosiew(8 GA)

If you know anyone with chickens, take those nasty slimy slugs to them. Chickens adore them. Great job you're doing!

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 7:53PM
perrynewbegining

Our first garden was being consumed about as fast as the plants grew until we figured out, (On here!) what it was. Slugs from the leaf compost. We now keep a very close watch at the beginning of the season, and have been very pleased with Ortho Bug-Geta for snails and slugs. We tried the coffee grounds method without success. We usually only have to do it twice during the growing season. We also switched to grass clippings for primary weed control and to help with moisture retention. The leaf mulch is added in the fall at the end of the growing season.

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 3:01PM
just.keep.digging(6a)

Thank you everyone! Im going to try out the sluggo soon, also going to try some copper tape on the containers i have outside. Has anyone ever used it before w any success? Also random question, ive been seein these lil bugs, they look like spiders but have a red abdomen & black legs/heads. They are maybe an 1/8 of an inch long. Any idea what these things are?

Bookmark   May 8, 2012 at 10:46PM
oceandweller(8B)

Just keep digging, Sounds like those are juvenile Lady bugs :). Lady bugs eat affidavits although I am sure you probably new that.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 12:29AM
just.keep.digging(6a)

Oceandweller i was hoping you were right but sadly they are not ladybugs. The ones i have are much more spider-like. Their heads are round & black, i do not know if they are 2 or 3 segmented, and their abdomans are bigger than the rest of their body and red. Ill try to take a closer look tomorrow. They just appeared within the past week. I do have a crap ton of chinch bugs, maybe its their babies? Anyone have any good recommendations for detailed garden pest books w pictures? The one i have only has pictures for maybe 1/4 of everything they list.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 12:46AM
More Discussions
Row covers for warmth
Couple questions about using row covers mostly for...
joeschmoe80
Romaine Lettuce help
So I plant 3 sets of 3 romaine plants about 2 1/2 weeks...
robbversion1
which tomato seeds to get?
Live in zone 9b (about 60 miles North of Galveston...
new-beginning
Worth time and supplies to plant old seeds?
I have seeds ranging from one year to probably about...
malkar
Sincere Question - Why Participate?
If I had found this site from doing a web search because...
soilent_green
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™