Privacy Hedge for Sunset Zone 24

cfonline2010October 21, 2013

Hello,

(Cross post to California forum, too. )

I have been a lurker for about 12 years, seriously. An amateur, who has learned an unbelievable amount but now I need your input. (And I had to sign up again. ;)

Here's the scoop: Mediterranean plan for both house and landscape. The house faces west and gets full sun. We would like to put a hedge around the perimeter of the wall to ensconce the front yard and give some privacy. Ideally, the hedge would be dark green, non-lacy, 4-5 ft max high and about 2-3 wide (as you can see width availability varies.) We know we will need to maintain.

Have considered almost all appropriate plants but for various reasons (thorns, messy fruit, deciduous, doesn't take to shearing well, too large, etc.) discarded them.

I would love to hear what you would consider if this was your front yard. I am happy to post the list of plants in consideration, once I can find my many lists!

Many thanks,
CF

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
emmarene

Have you considered Myrsine africana?

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:21PM
cfonline2010

Thanks for your reply, emmarene. I didn't even know what it was and had to look it up. It would fit the bill, but we already have the boxwood lining the pathway. I was hoping to add a bit more variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: African Boxwood

Bookmark   October 21, 2013 at 10:47PM
bahia(SF Bay Area)

You might consider using either Grewia occidentalis or Metrosideros collina 'Spring Fire'. Both do well in zone 24, but would need regular pruning because they want to get taller than 5 feet.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 1:58AM
mohavemaria

Twisted myrtle, myrtus boetica, has no thorns, is evergreen, and definitely Mediterranean in character. It is a slower growing plant so it would take time to become a hedge but would also be easier to keep the size you want. It makes an unusual but very attractive hedge.

Another Mediterranean plant that makes a great hedge is teucrium fruticans but it is sliver rather than the green you wanted.

I have several of both of these and find them tough, beautiful additions to the landscape. Maria

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 10:15AM
More Discussions
Design ideas for paving
I am trying to pave the area where the pine straw is....
Jacob-web
Drainage issues!
Hoping the drainage experts can contribute. We have...
mrsgoss
garden design ideas for a raised brick flower bed.
Every year I try with all my might to do something...
midwestmelissa
Need help building a retaining wall
Hi all this is my first post so I hope I can get some...
jeffboyardeee
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™