Trying to understand rototill, plow, harrow and disk

toffee-el(Z8b Sunset Z13 Elev 4650ft)February 28, 2013

I am a total newbie going from small backyard gardening to a 2 acre hobby farm. I used a rototiller for my suburbia garden, now trying to learn Plowing - Harrowing - Disking and their relationship to rototilling.

With help from wikipedia, should I assume that plowing is deeper rotation of dirt. When finished ground will be uneven with large chunks of turned over soil? Then the disking is to chop up the large chunks into smaller chunks? Then harrowing to further even them out and leave a more or less flat ground?

So together plowing-disking-harrowing basically do a deeper and more intense job of rototilling?

Thanks for helping this newbie.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hammerga

The plowing route is easier, possibly a little deeper. but I think the end result of a tiller is hard to beat.

Bookmark   March 3, 2013 at 6:24PM
insteng

If you are planting a small 2 acre garden you can get a rototiller attachment for your tractor and till your garden up. Either way would work. On our garden we run the tiller attachment through the garden then use the plow to make rows.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:22PM
fancifowl(5Pa)

rotary tilling can be a 1 step operation and gets the soil turned/mixed to about 6 inches. plowin turns the soil over without mixing to from 6-10 inches(8 is most common). Disc harrowing breaks up and mixes soil and residue while compacting the soil. There are several types of harrows, all have roughly the same effect. Either trotary tilling or plowing can be the right way to go, just depends on soils and preference.

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:15PM
More Discussions
Giardia from ducks and chickens?
I really hope this topic hasn't been posted numerous...
chickenmama1
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
My rooster Pluto is sick :(
ok, he is not "mine" but we all live together...
laura981
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™