Personally, I think that house gutters cause more problems.

wertach zone 7-B SCFebruary 1, 2012

Just cleaned the gutters for the sixteenth time this year. I found some rotting of the wood above the gutters. A section that doesn't have gutters is in better shape.

As long as there is a slope going away from the house, which I have, it seems that I would be better off if I took them down.

Thoughts?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bulldinkie(pa)

My hubbys a builder you guys keep him in business.Theyre there for a reason,take them away your next problem will be foundation problems,water in the basement guaranteed.They have screens etc to put over the spouting fit right in then you wouldnt have to clean leaves out.

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 4:24PM
wertach zone 7-B SC

I don't have a basement! :)

Bookmark   February 8, 2012 at 4:09PM
Beeone(4 N. Wyo.)

We only have gutters where the water would drip on your head as you go in and out, or where there is sidewalk (and hence roofwater on the head) or flower beds that would splash mud everywhere. Otherwise, it just comes off the roof and drops to the ground/grass.

I think the main issue with gutters is keeping water from heavy rains from pounding on the ground, eroding a low spot that keeps the water near the house where it could cause settling of your foundation even without a basement, and splashing back on the siding where it could potentially find a way underneath. If you had a good slope away from the house and good grass cover to prevent erosion and splashing on the house, gutters may not give you much benefit except over doors and sidewalks.

Then again, I'm in a dry climate and if we get 2 or 3 inches of rain over a several week period, we find all kinds of interesting problems from the excessive wetness--not from lack of gutters, but just from generally excessive moisture.

Bookmark   February 11, 2012 at 3:02AM
More Discussions
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
Turkeys: how do you know if you have a female turkey?
We have one "pet" turkey, most likely a Broad...
undercover_owl
Ivermec & heartworms
My Lab was diagnosed with heartworms last week. She...
kntryhuman
Mink Attack
Though I thought our duck pen was perfectly set and...
hpyheathen
Dorking rooster with frostbite
Hello, Our rooster suffered frost bite in the dip in...
suyoder
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™