Fix bad soil

koms1016(9)May 10, 2013

My husband and I built a raised bed and filled it with 7 yards of garden soil from a local company. Turns out the soil was crap and is filled with bark and has no nutrients in it. All of our plants are dying in it. We want to get new ones, but first I want to fix the soil. I am not a patient person so I don't want to wait for months of composting to do this. Is there anything we can add to the soil once we yank out everything that is dying to ensure new plants thrive? The bed is 15' x 2.5' x 3.5'. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Hammerga

I would have the soil tested to see what you have and then know what is needed

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 11:12PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Agree. Get a professional soil test done by your local county ag extension office. Costs $10-12 dollars in most places. That's the only way you'll know exactly what it needs.

In the mean time scout for a local source of bulk compost and a 25-50lb. bag of cottonseed meal or alfalfa meal to bulk up the N levels to cope with all the bark and wood chips. Just don't apply until you get the soil test back. Normally has a 1 week turn around time.

Dave

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 11:20PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

As several folks have mentioned in your other thread on the sickly tomatoes, the questions about sufficient sun exposure and planting methods are also problems for you that need to be resolved. Even with ideal soil mix if there isn't sufficient sun exposure you are going to have difficulty.

Dave

Bookmark   May 11, 2013 at 10:55AM
More Discussions
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes
Molokai Purple Sweet Potatoes Anyone ever try these?...
fresc1000
Melon transplants or direct seed?
I've read and heard conflicting info on this... what...
formerly_creativeguy
Can I use grape leaves as mulch?
I have alot of chopped and dried grape vine leaves....
zzackey
pepper with Brown spots
I researched about this disease and it says that a...
keyki5
Leek starting woes
I'm having trouble getting my leeks going. A couple...
bart1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™