Can We Talk Muscovy Duck One More Time?

eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)February 27, 2010

My 3 muscovy ducks, 2 female and one drake, are about 6 months old. At what age are they sexually mature? Is mating based on age, day length, temperature. What is your experience. When should I expect my first clutch. These 3 were hatched on Sept 7th 2009.

Eric

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Naomi Miller

I am not sure what your weather is like, but if you are approaching warm temps then you should see mating anytime.... I have 8 muscovy ducks and all were mating at around 6 months.....as have all my other ducks..... my ducks lay all year long here in Z7 but the fertility is less in cold weather... my muscovy females are excellent setters and great mothers, I have used them to hatch other breeds instead of incubating them since they are so good at what they do, lol... good luck, I find the muscovy breed to be interesting and challenging too, lol.... head strong and smart !!

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 7:27PM
eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)

heartzlink,

Thank you. Good to hear from a fellow Muscovy enthusiast. My Khaki Campbells lay year around here in zone 8, wasn't sure about Muscovies.

Weather, low 50's last several weeks.

Eric

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 7:57PM
eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)

heartzlink,

One of my Muscovy females is missing. Yesterday the male was making advances towards her. She acted like she isn't ready.

Question, do you think she is hiding?

I've had ducks killed by predators in the past, but with feathers everywhere. No signs. Just gone.

Eric

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 4:14PM
eric_wa(San Juan, z8 WA)

Found the little buger. She is swimming in our big pond. Now how to get her back to the orchard pond.

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 6:57PM
More Discussions
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
Why Does A Rooster Crow So Much?
What are they crowing About?He has his women.I was...
bulldinkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™