Jute netting needed for slope in my yard?

abufish(z10 CA)October 11, 2011

My side yard has a long slope, not super steep (6ft high and 13ft deep). Right now there are very little plants on it, mostly bare soil. I plan to plant some Myoporum to help reduce soil erosion and make it look nicer, but I'm not sure if I need to apply Jute netting first? One gardener told me yes and another said no...

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Is soil coming off or looking like it might?

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 11:23AM
abufish(z10 CA)

Yes, the soil has slowly came off during the last 10 years or so (we just moved in), right now there's a section the soil is leveling with my side walk. I would say the soil erosion is minor.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 2:19PM
deviant-deziner(Oh zone)

With not seeing the site or knowing your soil profile, I would error on the side of safety and install the jute netting.
The myroporum is not going to provide any sufficient upper range root matting control for a while.

If Cal Trans is any indication in regards to preparing for the upcoming rainy season , in my area you can see them out in full force applying jute netting on open and newly cut hillsides.

Seems like a pretty small investment for what could potentially be a big cost benefit if we get a lot of rain and your soil surface area is loose.
It can even mitigate a 'minor' amount of subsurface erosion by keeping the top layer intact if there is a minor sub surface slide.
In a moderate to big slide, no amount of jute is going to help.

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 7:21PM
More Discussions
Need tips to make garden spiral
so this is kind of embarrassing but I don't know how...
violetwest
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
Looking for front of house ideas
We recently moved into this house. It was a new construction...
jsandlin0803
Ditched my landscaper - yellow pine choice
Going to my local Camellia expert's nursery and just...
Bama_Joe
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™