Up high instead of in safe.

thecitychicken(Swaziland)February 1, 2009

Most of you are probably family with how chicken like to go up as high as they can to roost at night. Mine do; but their high roost isn't in the enclosed coop part; it's out in the run part, right up under the roof. Which would be more in the wind or blowing rain than if they roosted inside the house part.

Should I care?

We live in Yacolt, WA (near Portland, OR). Usually gets down into the 20's at night in the winter here; not that cold for chickens.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
runningtrails

Are they safe from predators up there? I would worry more about racoons than weather.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 7:12AM
shebear(z8 NCentralTex)

You know I've been reading on here for a while and I wondered why most people don't make high roosts. Grandpa had both high and low in the hen house. Chickens used both. Seems to me they would want a high roost to make it harder for any predator. And when I say high I mean over 6 feet. More like 8.

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 11:18AM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Like runningtrails says, if they are safe from predators up there, and won't injure themselves getting up and down, they should be OK. Drafts are more of a concern than temps, as long as the temps are moderate.

If it's too drafty, try and place a windbreak for them.

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   February 2, 2009 at 5:47PM
runningtrails

Mine have a really high roost at the ceiling, but I have not seen any up there. They would be very safe up there, but not with a ladder which coons could also climb. I have seen one hen try for it and not make it. It is directly above the other roost and they will poop on the ones below, so I have not encouraged it. Should I make them a ladder? It would give them someething interesting to play with while shut up on a cold winter day.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 7:52AM
seramas

High perches are good, but only if they can fly up to them. That way if the fly down it won't be like a falling rock. Some breeds are just too big to roost up high because you will always have a few birds that will jump (or fly) down. They can injure legs and hips so easily by hitting the ground harder than they should--some will even injure their breast bones.

These pictures are of some Phoenix hens and roos roosting on the bars used for hanging baskets in the greenhouse. They are 8'6" high.

Bookmark   February 3, 2009 at 1:43PM
runningtrails

Those are beautiful birds! Love the long tail feathers!
Thaat's about the height of the ceiling roost in my hen house. Maybe my gals are just too heavy to getup there, and that's ok with me. I wouldn't want them to get hurt getting down.

If I had a greenhouse, I'd keep birds in it too. Great idea!

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 7:46AM
seramas

The greenhouse is 12'W x 12'H x 50'L. As soon as I get over a painful fall injury I'll take pictures of how it is built & add a written narration on the how's.

Without the LP 80,000btu furnace ($800 installed) the greenhouse only cost about $400.

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 10:47AM
msjay2u(7)

ironic you talk about protecting the birds from falling and you fell!

Hope you are okay!!

Bookmark   February 5, 2009 at 10:06PM
brendan_of_bonsai(4b AK)

I'm sorry to hear about your fall Seramas.

Bookmark   February 6, 2009 at 1:16AM
runningtrails

I do hope you get better soon!
That's a good price for a greenhouse that big. Let us know when you get it the narrative done. I'd love to read it.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 7:06AM
runningtrails

I do hope you get better soon!
That's a good price for a greenhouse that big. Let us know when you get it the narrative done. I'd love to read it.

Bookmark   February 8, 2009 at 7:07AM
More Discussions
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
propane tank
Is it better to buy or rent a large propane tank--for...
kokosnood
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™