found reason for egg 'allergy'

woodrose711March 30, 2010

I had been feeding my geese rabbit feed and supplementing it to my chickens just to add more "green stuff" to their diets throughout the winter. The layer mash contains a synthetic vitamin K: menadione sodium busulfite complex. the rabbit feed contains that and another: menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite. Now that my birds are free ranging again, they're not eating the rabbit feed anymore, and the eggs are no longer causing a reaction in me. I did some research and found that these substances are also in commercial pet foods and are causing allergic reactions in pets and there is effort to get them removed. I've taken the feed away.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

It's the bisulfite part ...

http://www.webmd.com/allergies/guide/sulfite-sensitivity
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy731

Not exactly an allergy, but a sensitivity. A large array of dermatological, pulmonary, gastrointestinal, and cardiovascular symptoms can be shown.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 12:51PM
woodrose711

I did enough research about it to find it's toxic. Google "dogfood project" and look for "menadione/vitamin K3". It's been found that pets/livestock don't really need this supplement, although vitamin K is produced in the gut by bacteria, and all the meds/antibiotics that are fed animals kills these bacteria. Also, meds interfere with vitamin K absorption. I suspect that it's added to make up for the detrimental effects of med/antibiotic overuse.

Bookmark   April 5, 2010 at 11:40PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Excellent post, a great example of why you should stick with the right feed for the right animal. It's those little things that people never suspect or realize can cause problems.

Good sleuthing! :)

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 9:56AM
woodrose711

yeah, it although wasn't very pleasant being a guinea pig! But, I wonder, wouldn't that same toxin get in the meat of the food rabbits, too? I'd think Id want to avoud eating rabbits too, for this reason.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 11:25PM
seramas

Supplementing with organic rabbit pellets (ORP) you would have avoided this. During the winter I have always feed ORP but not more than 5% (1 part ORP to 19 parts layer 16% and 1 part Calf Manna). Layers will produce all winter long on this mix.

Another thing IÂve do is grow sprouts using wild bird feed and oats mixed together. They go nuts over sprouts.

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 9:04PM
woodrose711

good Idea! I think they'll love the sprouts! thanks!

Bookmark   April 26, 2010 at 1:36AM
Maggie_J(z5 Ontario)

It is quite possible to raise rabbits without feeding pellets. I've been doing it for several years. Mine get alfalfa hay, small amounts of grain and as many greens as the season allows. Most of the green feed is in the form of safe weeds: dandelions, chicory, young dock leaves, clover, alfalfa, Queen Anne's lace, sow thistles, prickly lettuce, willow, apple or pear twigs and leaves and many others. If this idea interests you, please be aware that it does take time to transition the rabbits from a pelleted diet to a natural one. I did it gradually over about two months. More information about natural feeding is available on these specialized rabbit forums.

http://rabbittalk.com/
http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Here is a link that might be useful: RabbitTalk

Bookmark   May 2, 2010 at 9:06AM
More Discussions
Need Spark Plug Wire
I have an old Stihl chansaw (041AV) that my dad bought...
Denn66breck
omg The Wind Last Nite
Its still blowing here in Pa.It howled,I have a metal...
bulldinkie
looking for farm software
Hi folks, new here. Well kinda, it's been years anyway. Looking...
arkygirl
Need help on choosing raw milk farmer
Hello, everyone, I have a little dilemma: I have a...
wwdwgs
propane heat vs. electric heat
We live in South Dakotan and have heated our home with...
wildhares
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™