How long before bell peppers turn colors?

organic_gdn_virgy(7)May 29, 2008

Ok, I'm getting anxious to eat some, lol. I have a red bell pepper plant I bought in the store that has bell peppers on it that are about 3" in diameter and 3 - 4 inches long. But they are still green.

I've never grown anything but green bell peppers, so I have to admit, I'm skeptical that they will actually turn colors. Any idea how big they will get before they will ripen to the red color? I don't know the variety, bought them at walmart, but wow I have a lot of peppers on my one red and 3 yellow plants, but all are green still.

Thanks alot. Virginia

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
weirdtrev

You can eat them when they are green. A red bell pepper is just a green bell pepper that is left on the plant longer. All green bell peppers change color eventually.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 11:56PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

They have to ripen to change colors and they have to do it on the vine and yes, it takes quite awhile. Depending on the variety - 2-3 weeks. The length of times to ripen is why they are so much more expensive than green ones. ;)

Pick some of them green so the plant will keep producing. If you leave all of them on to ripen the plants tend to stop blooming.

Dave

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 12:05AM
organic_meggie

That's interesting... I have been looking at mine for a week or so now wondering the same thing.

Bookmark   May 30, 2008 at 6:17PM
granite(z6 NC)

I've found that the yellow bell or orange bell peppers ripen faster than the red bell peppers.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 5:43PM
wally_1936(8b)

Just don't make stuffed peppers with ripe peppers, too sweet to the taste. The ripe are great in salads, stir-fry, etc.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 11:45PM
More Discussions
Using landscape fabric instead of hilling potatoes?
I've got a large veggie garden that gets out of control...
fireweed22
ancient
this news just in-23 year old lettuce seeds do not...
davids10 z7a nv.
Pea eggplants or kittily
Has anyone ever grown pea eggplants or kittily? Or...
changingitup
Woody Parsnips
What causes parsnips to develop wrinkly skin and woody...
qbush
Tomatoes in Autumn?
It's late summer, about to be autumn for me, and I...
Heather Riley
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™