shed floor

cybergranny99March 19, 2010

We are thinking of replacing a sheep shed floor-over a current concrete floor that's too low. The floor needs to be eight inches higher. We have sheep in the shed, and it works well until we have heavy rain, when it gets soaked from the adjacent pen which is at the same level--

We aren't sure if we should use a wood floor and if it should be pressure treated. The chemicals are said to be "safe" now, but the pressure treated wood costs double--

There are lots of old barn floors that haven't rotted--we'd rather not use the pressure treated if we don't have to--we're open to other ideas too

anyone have experience/advice with this?

Thanks, Judy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Naomi Miller

As someone who has had to build up a lot of stall floors for various livestock, lol.... we use pallets as a base, overlaid with sheet goods... for ease of cleaning, we usually use and OSB or other sheet good covered with scrap vinyl flooring......so far, all have held up well and if and when they do not, pallets are free !! Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 8:20AM
seramas

Here is a link to a relative new type of heat treated decking/floor non-toxic chemical free wood. It cost a bit more but is worth it. When we built our decks 5 years ago it cost appx $2.00 per board foot (pressure treated cost $1.00 per board foot). It then had to be special ordered but now is becoming commonly available. It is rot, insect, shrink and warping resistant and comes with a 25 year warranty even when used under/on the ground.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Truely Non-Chemical Green Wood

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 8:50AM
marlingardener

If flooding is the problem, and otherwise the concrete floor is satisfactory, could you improve the drainage from the other pen? I was thinking of something like a French drain between the two pens which could direct the water to where it would not be a problem. Just a thought.

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 2:24PM
yakimadn

Think it would be cheaper (at least more cost effective)and healthier to do the drain idea. Say you build up the floor with wood, still gonna have moisture and all the goodies that come with it. Stop the water from coming in in the first place.

Dave

Bookmark   March 19, 2010 at 10:19PM
More Discussions
lice and ticks on goats
I noticed the other day that my goats have developed...
shellybabe
old water well question...
There is an old well on our farm that used to be run...
lesli8
Chickens and Guineas Together
I would like to get 2 chickens and 2 guineas to wonder...
srks72
Making a little money on the farm?
I realize that much of an enterprises success depends...
dan_denise
Urgent:Help in Raising Chicks
A healthy mother hen died while it was trying to hatch...
Dakshin Thyagarajan
Sponsored Products
Stacking C Floor Lamp by Leucos Lighting
$2,969.32 | Lumens
Vienna Full Spectrum Crystal Floor Lamp
Lamps Plus
Beige Memory Foam Floor Runner
$24.99 | zulily
Dove Vines Flatweave Rug 5'3" x 7'5" - SKY BLUE
$399.00 | Horchow
Swing Curve Floor Lamp
$104.99 | Dot & Bo