molting

runningtrailsMarch 22, 2009

I'm finding little brown feathers all over the place in much larger numbers this week. Do they molt before they get broody in the spring? Do they stop laying altogether when they molt? Do they all molt at the same time?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Chickens can molt anytime, but mine usually do the big molts anywhere from October to February, so I guess molting now isn't out of the question. :) They generally don't lay while molting or growing back new feathers, as this takes lots of energy.

Mine don't all molt at the same time, and not everyone molts for sure every year. But in Oct.-Nov. it seemed to be the years' fashion fad to molt tails in my flock...things looked kinda funny out there for a while! *L*

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 11:14AM
runningtrails

Mine didn't molt in the fall but I'm in a completely different zone than you are, so the timing might be different? I'm just asking because I have never seen them lose this many feathers at once before. The chickens, themselves, don't look bare, just feathers everywhere. At first I thought a predator had grabbed one of them, there were so many feathers in a big pile outside.

Oh well, it's generally warmer now, but not warm enough to hatch young ones yet, so I guess it's as good a time as any to molt. The laying has not slowed down at all.

Velvet, I talked to the people with the D'Anver banties. They don't want me to share their email address with anyone, as they're a little afraid of the internet. They will save me some eggs, if there are any before they sell them in mid April. If I get some, I'll send them to you. I have decided not to raise them, at least not right now, anyway. Here's hoping!

Bookmark   March 23, 2009 at 3:13PM
velvet_sparrow(Zone 5b, Gardnerville, NV)

Very cool, thank you! :) I'd really love some. I'm getting some Serama eggs from seramas, he very kindly offered. I'm going to reset the incubator next week and start more eggs then for my daughter's Science Fair project.

You are more than welcome to either give my email to the folks with the D'Anvers eggs, or point them to my website, it's listed there as well. Please tell them I'd truly appreciate the eggs, and to let me know how much they want for them if they decide to go ahead and send some. I understand completely how careful you need to be about giving out personal info on the 'net. :)

Velvet ~:>

Bookmark   March 27, 2009 at 9:51PM
More Discussions
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
Wearing fur...
Hi, all! I'm just wondering what everyone's different...
mamacotti
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Ivermectin for doggies
First, DO NOT USE IVOMEC PLUS for heartworm control...
zensojourner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™