Cedar or pressure treated pine for fence?

ikea_gwNovember 6, 2012

Not sure if this is the best place to post this question. If it isn't please direct me to the right forum.

We are putting in a new fence in the backyard. We live in a location with humid hot summer and the fence will be in the shade half of the year. I've gotten quotes on cedar and pressure treated pine and the prices are about $200 from each other. Is one better than the other? The fence will be a tall picket style with 7 ft height. All companies suggested 3 horizontal rails. We don't intend to stain the fence. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rosiew(8 GA)

I'd go with the cedar in a heart beat. Here the price difference would be huge. Cedar ages beautifully. You might want to get some expert advice re a preservative finish.

HTH, Rosie, in GA

Bookmark   November 9, 2012 at 6:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardvaark

Don't know where you could get hard, scientific evidence, but my personal experience with cedar where it makes ground contact, i.e., posts, is that its longevity is disappointing. I think pressure treated surpasses it. Above ground, it's prettier than p.t. Staining will probably add to the life but I don't have much experience with that, preferring paint ... which will make it last much longer.

Bookmark   November 10, 2012 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Wind, sun and what best fits my backyard
Hi everyone! Please ignore the grass situation, will...
Bama_Joe
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Privacy for Small Yard - Help!
Hi All! First time poster - LONG TIME reader! I'm in...
rsislow
Do any of you see any red flags with this design?
We got a landscape design for our new yard that we...
TyBarr
Need dog fencing layout tips for homestead
We just bought a place on nearly 4 acres that has no...
tracefacemsu
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™