ideas for an open area of 800 sq ft

rhchaNovember 11, 2012

We have this wooded area off our driveway; the entrance to which is a small flagstone patio. To the right and left of the patio are very irregularly shaped open areas, about 400 sq ft each. They are set off by rock and brick bordors from the wooded areas which includes azaleas, gardenias, trees, etc. We originally had grass in this open area. Replaced that with wood chips which attracted termites. So that is gone now. Am looking for very low maintenance ideas for these two areas. Water is very expensive here so not too interested in grass again. Would appreciate any ideas anyone might have. Shade to partial shade is the sun condition. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

What sort of woods? Live oaks, eucalyptus? How do you use the open area? Do you want it all walkable, or do you want to use paths through plants? How would you describe the soil? Is this a level area?

Bookmark   November 11, 2012 at 4:12PM
rhcha

Wooded area trees are live oak, olive trees and pine. The area is pretty much to view only and it is slightly sloped. Soil is not real good, on the sandy side. We would put a path in if necessary.

Thanks for responding.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 11:04AM
catkim(San Diego 10/24)

I wonder if a decomposed granite surface would appeal to you? The olives and pines with the rock and brick borders suggest a mediterranean garden, and DG is used extensively in southern France and Italy. Once installed, it's easy to care for, and no water issues. Your garden might have the feel of a country house in Provence.

If you have a few photos you could share, you'll get more feedback.

Bookmark   November 12, 2012 at 11:45AM
rhcha

That is a great idea. Thanks so much.

Bookmark   November 13, 2012 at 1:43PM
More Discussions
Please need help 100% blank slate both front and back
Hi guys glad I found this forum been reading alot of...
lexysdad04
Huge commercial project behind me
Hi, all. The Deathstar has arrived-- that is, the 60,000...
demeron
Mulch/grass over asphalt?
Our entire backyard was paved with asphalt by the previous...
stevet47
Can a new wood fence be moved?
I recently purchased a house with a newly installed...
dyhgarden
Shrubs need to get pulled out U-G-L-Y
Hi Forum Members: I recently bought my house and the...
dmo12240
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™