Ducklings - can you tell the sex?

carajonMarch 20, 2008

We would like to get a 2-4 Khaki Campbells, primarily for eggs (and because they are darn cute!). A local feed store has some ducklings in, but they are straight run. I'm open to having a drake, but I want to make sure we get at least one female since we want eggs. Esp since we are vegetarians and will not be eating the ducks. Is there any way to guess from the appearance of the tiny little ducklings whether they are male or female? I'd really rather get the duckings locally than mailorder if there is any way to make sure I end up with a female or two.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fancifowl(5Pa)

pick them up, they will quack, the louder are the ducks and the muter are the drakes.

Bookmark   March 20, 2008 at 3:54PM
carajon

Thank you! We'll try your technique today when we pick out our ducklings.

Bookmark   March 22, 2008 at 10:22AM
beeliz(2)

ya,that's how I sex them too...The females will be louder and honk,and the males kind of softly quack..like a whisper! The fems are basically very vocal.

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 11:02AM
carajon

Well, we brought our two ducklings home and one is extremely loud and the other is quieter, so maybe we have one of each. There is such a contrast between the vocalizing of the two that the kids named them Max Volume and Peace - guess which is which? I'll report back when we can tell if we've got boys, girls, or one of each. In any case, they are the cutest, friendliest, cuddliest little things ever!

Bookmark   March 24, 2008 at 10:18PM
juniper8204

Does this go for geese too? I recently got three African Geese...I've noticed that one is very wiggly and LOUD and the other two are more laid back when you pick them up.

Bookmark   March 29, 2008 at 5:26PM
More Discussions
Rat proof chicken feeder
Been having a few problems with rats (no doubt the...
johnmac09
Another septic/well water question...
We have well water which has been tested (not all that...
bill7
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Staph Aureus in the compost?
Once in a while, one of my hens gets bumblefoot. The...
saffron_parasol
cattle
I finally found and bought 2 head of cattle just before...
trisha_51
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™