Retaining Wall Costs?

walksindarkness(z5 MA)November 13, 2007

Hi All,

I am trying to reclaim ~9 feet of my back yard, as my lot is only ~0.23 acres. That last ~9' suddenly drops off by ~4 feet, and the back line is 100 foot across. So I am wondering if anyone has any experience as to how much a 4'H x 100' L poured concrete retaining wall might cost. I would just buy some locking blocks and go DIY; but this wall is LONG, and I don't think my neighbor would apprecaite me in his back yard for several months.

TIA!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laag(z6CapeCod)

You could expect to pay about $14k for someone to supply and build a modular block wall of that size for you.

A proper poured concrete wall would have a wide footing extending several feet toward the uphill side of the retaining wall and it would be 4' or more deep (on the downhill side) and at least 8" thick. That would also make your poured wall 8' x 100' x 8". The concrete alone would cost $2,500. You'd need excavation, forming, drainage tile, steal reinforcement, and back filling. I think that you will find the modular block more affordable, especially if you do some of the work yourself.

It would be cheaper to cut a narrow trench pout a quick footing and put up 4' forms, but it will fail either through the freeze/thaw cycle or by failing to hold back the surcharge. The only question is which will happen first.

Bookmark   November 13, 2007 at 7:21PM
walksindarkness(z5 MA)

Thanks laag!
That is a lot of really good info! Since you are out on the Cape, I am guessing my costs will be similar (I am out in metro-west, near the Marlboro area).
I guess this wall will cost a lot more than what I thought. Sorry to keep asking question, but do you have any guess as to what the final cost of a proper concrete wall would be? Usually, I have found that a job will cost ~3x the cost of material; so I am wondering if $8k is a good guess, or if it will be even higher from all the labor (tying rebar etc)?

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 8:53AM
laag(z6CapeCod)

I'm out of touch on what it costs to set up and pour concrete forms, but it was about $15 per linear foot 18 years ago (not including concrete, excavation, and rebar).

Make a few calls and see what they have to say.

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 5:40PM
More Discussions
Help with small retaining wall
I am starting to landscape my yard and am having trouble...
jminternelia
Landscape Advice Needed | New Homeowners
We just purchased our first home in the southeast and...
Sarah Bain
Overwhelmed by new homes
I bought a new home just over a year ago in Northwest...
mistymoon
the bane of my existence - what to plant in driveway ribbon???
I live in a historic district... the board has to approve...
lovetorenovate
Help for shade
I need some advice . I have recently moved into a house...
Chris Cousineau
Sponsored Products
Ogee-G Cream Ceramic Square Baker with Metal Base
Classic Hostess
Farberware Pro Stamped Stainless Steel 25-piece Cutlery Set
Overstock.com
Barrington 3-Tier Chandelier by Feiss
$840.00 | Lumens
Agnes Long Shelving Unit - Oak - Kay + Stemmer, SCP
$1,000.00 | HORNE
Home Decorators Area Rug: Springtime White and Red 9' 6" x 13' 9"
Home Depot