Very sick baby goat... help?

kimbleeMarch 24, 2010

Our miniture doe had twins yesterday. She didn't seem to be taking care of them, but my father insisted she knew what she was doing, since she had raised a set of twins last year.

One was found dead this morning, and the other was chilly and our outside dog was laying beside it, nuzzling it and trying to make it stand up. (The mother was ignoring everything around her, mostly like she did yesterday. We're getting rid of her soon, she stomped another doe's babies earlier this year.)

Now its in a box, under a lamp in our living room. We've been trying to convince it to take milk from an eyedropper (got an estimated ounce into it already... it did swallow) but its fading fast. We coaxed baking soda water into it and it cried and perked up a bit, but not much.

We're pretty sure its hopeless, but hate to quit a fight before its all said and done.

If anyone knows what more we can do, i'd appreciate it greatly.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kimblee

err... nevermind.

He died about five minutes ago.

Thanks anyway.

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 1:35PM
oberhasli1

I'm sorry to hear about your baby goats. It is so hard lose them so young. Last year our first freshener delivered twin girls 2 1/2 weeks early. We did tube feed them colostrum but they were just too young. You might want to keep tube feeding equipment on hand just in case you ever have this happen again. You can look on line to see how to tube feed. It is scary to do but once you do it, its not so bad and it can sometimes save young kids who are too weak to nurse. I'm sorry for your loss.

Bonnie

Bookmark   March 24, 2010 at 2:45PM
brendasue(6)

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of the little one.

For future reference, chilled kids should be warmed up to an internal body temperature of at least 100 degrees (normal is 101-103 degrees). You can do this by putting them in a bag & submersing them in warm water while holding their head out of the water, or warming up towels in the dryer & placing the goat on the towels, or using a hair dryer being careful not to burn them (careful of dehydration).

After the internal temperature is over 100 degrees, a quick energy boost will help them-molasses or corn syrup on thier tongue works wonders. Gives them quick energy for rapid recovery from being chilled. Afterwards colostrum (bottled or tubed as stated). The most important thing is to not feed a chilled kid as milk/colustrum only sits in the gut-they cannot digest milks with such a low temperature because their body went into "survival" mode.

To re-cap: Warm them to at least 100 degrees, give quick energy like simple sugars, then Colustrum/milk.

Again I'm sorry for your loss.

Brendasue

Bookmark   March 26, 2010 at 7:46PM
More Discussions
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Duck hiding/disappeared
I have 2 drakes and 2 females (pekin and mallard) ...
meredithmanning2
Inactivity on this forum...?
Like I said in an earlier post...it has been 6 years...
buckeye_brian
Guinea Fowl, what do you think of them?
I'd love to hear about your experiences w/these pretty...
sullicorbitt
Sponsored Products
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Accent Rug: Oriental Weavers Rugs Grace Wyndham
$19.97 | Home Depot
Macrame Plant Holder
$49.99 | Dot & Bo
Denman 2-lt Wall Sconce
LBC Lighting
Ava Rug 8' x 10' - SAGE
$6,429.00 | Horchow
Custom Kids Pleated Bedskirt
Home Decorators Collection
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Kas Rugs Rugs Traditional Mahal Red 9 ft.
Home Depot
Quadra Suspension by De Majo
$839.40 | Lumens
Replacement Filter for 42" Treviso Series Wall-Mount Range Hood
Signature Hardware
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™