Duck Eggs for Easter?

johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)March 1, 2010

Has anyone dyed duck eggs? I am wondering if they will take color like chicken eggs do -- the shells seem to have a different texture. I can experiment, but I am guessing that people on this list have probably already tried!

--Johanna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
goldenpond((Vero.Beach FL 9b))

Everyday is an Easter egg hunt at our place LOL!
I haven't died them but have marked them with permanent markers so I know which ones are old then snitch the fresh ones from the nest. Some ducks don't like the marker tho and kick the eggs out. Most ducks lay them any old place!

We actually have a yearly egg hunt on my 2 and a half acres but we use plastic eggs and no chocolate(FLORIDA SUN AND fireants!) this year Im thinking of making a prize box and they can turn in the eggs for prizes,,,still thinking

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 7:02PM
eyecndiggit

We never had to color our duck eggs. we had Indian Runners and the eggs ranged from pale blue to dark green

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 2:11PM
johanna_h(Z5 SW MI)

I did not know that Runner Ducks' eggs were colored! I hope to get a pair this spring with my chicks.

I am surprised no one has posted that they tried dying duck eggs!!! I guess I'll have to experiment.

--Johanna

Here is a link that might be useful: My Place

Bookmark   March 2, 2010 at 2:20PM
eyecndiggit

Hey there should be no problem dying duck eggs. Egg shells are all calcium. The type of bird it comes from isn't going to change that..
The vinegar you use when coloring partially dissolves the shell so that the color will be absorbed more readily

Bookmark   March 3, 2010 at 4:24PM
More Discussions
Diatomaceous Earth Anyone?
Okay, so while studying advertising way back in college,...
lfrj
Trumpet vine + chickens = ???
Yes, its a horror. Neighbor has one planted on our...
zensojourner
Giving bones to a dog
We got a couple of large soup bones (no meat on them...
carmen_grower_2007
ducks mating with chickens???
I went to our local co-op today to gather some supplies...
thinknpink
Raw Milk
Where Can I find Raw milk in western washington?
ivarlucas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™